We recommend that you go through an Irish Doodle Puppy Checklist before you bring one home.
Irish Doodles, known for their dashing silky red coats (although that’s not the only color they come in), are brilliant and active dogs. Highly suitable as active family dogs, as they are tolerant of children and other dogs.
In the following article, we will talk about all there is to know about Irish Doodle. We are here to familiarize you with the arrangements you will probably have to make before your puppy gets home and what all you would require for the same.
What is an Irish Doodle?
Irish Doodle is a mixture of two canine species, Red Setter and Poodle. They are also known as Irish Doodle Setter, Irish Poo Setter, and Irish Setterdoodle. Depending on the type of Poodle and Setter they are mixed with, the size may vary.
Irish Doodles are small yet big in personality. They love outdoor exercises, significantly as much as spending time indoors with their human companions. Irish Doodles are smart, obedient, agile, loyal, and make excellent service and therapy animals.
If you expect an Irish Doodle to sit around still while you do some work, then you cannot be more wrong. Since they are a highly energetic breed, they get anxious in the absence of stimulation and attention.
Are you ready for your Irish Doodle puppy to arrive home?
Preparation is a must! It would be fantastic if you are very well prepared for your Irish Doodle puppy to step into your life. Prior arrangements are always ideal to avoid any mishaps as you wait eagerly for your new puppy to arrive.
You probably will have to make a lot of changes in and around your house. Move a few pieces of furniture, clear some spaces, remove a few more things, and also buy a few several items, just as it is when one is expecting a newborn.
First thing first:
Your Irish Doodle Puppy Checklist
Below is listed a few of the prescribed Irish Doodle Puppy checklist of items you should consider acquiring before your puppy arrives home:
- Mental Stimulation – Read This
- Metal food and water bowls – Recommended Bowls
- Puppy food – Related article
- Brush – A slicker brush is a must – Best brush on Amazon
- Puppy treats – Related article
- Suitable crate (for the house + car travel) – Recommended Crate
- Leash – Recommended Leash
- Collar – Recommended Collar
- Harness – Recommended Harness
- ID tags for their collar
- Puppy toys, durable chew toys – Related article
- Poop scoop, bags, and a bin
- Nail clippers – Recommended Clippers
- Extra household cleaning products
- Puppy gate or baby gate – Recommended Gate
- Pet first aid kit – Read More
- Puppy bed – Recommended Bed
- Waterproof mating and spare towels – Recommended option
Your Breeder Knows Everything
The one and only person in this world who can help you with all the information regarding your new Irish Doodle puppy is the breeder. He/she will be more than glad to cater to all your queries and provide you with all the vital inputs and guidelines you wish to know.
Some of the questions you might want to ask could be regarding the general health and well-being of the puppies, the meal timings and the portions, the vaccinations and deworming, anything that you would have to look out for mainly related to Irish Doodles.
Even after adopting your puppy, we suggest that you continually stay in touch with your breeder from time to time. Doing so will allow you to be better equipped and poised if anything were to take you by surprise.
The Friendly Neighborhood Veterinarian
A bit of good old research in and around your locality concerning practicing Veterinarians is necessary. Suppose you find it hard to locate good vets, prompt other pet owners, and ask them about their experiences with their vets. In case they recommend one, it will not be a bad thing if you were to check it out!
When you have found the right vet for your Irish Doodle puppy, consult their clinic and see for yourself if they have the appropriate services or not.
How to Prepare for Your Irish Doodle Puppy Homecoming?
Dedicate an area just for your puppy
It is a good idea to keep your puppy within the confines of one or two rooms when you first bring it home. Some of the room choices could be the den, the laundry room, or even the kitchen. By doing so, you allow your puppy to explore around the house while keeping him safe. Assigning a specific area makes keeping track of your puppy and cleaning up after it much more efficient for you.
- Since puppies are in general curious, your Irish Doodle puppy may feel confused and overwhelmed if allowed to roam around the house freely.
- Your puppy is most likely to soil an area again after having an accident at home. Therefore, keeping a close watch on it will be useful so you can take it to go potty whenever it needs to go.
Puppy proofing your home
In this segment, we talk about some of the few things you should consider while proofing your house for your Irish Doodle puppy.
- Make a list of all the apparent dangers that are spying around the house. You can also puppy-proof the area you have assigned for your puppy by cleaning it well, removing glassware or ornaments, or anything that your puppy may bump into or break.
- Additionally, please make sure to remove from this area anything that you would want to save from being soiled, scratched, or chewed to bits.
- Elevate electrical wires to keep it out of the puppy’s reach or pave a pathway for the cables to pass through the back of your furniture so that your puppy cannot get to it.
- Place out of your puppy’s vicinity all the hazardous and dangerous substances. These include garbage, tobacco products, medication, cleaning detergents, and anything that your puppy may try to put into its mouth.
- It would be best to remove all the poisonous lures on the floor and the traps around the house. More often than not, such items contain toxins and other harmful substances that can prove to be dangerous for your puppy.
- Since Irish Doodles are a very active and energetic breed, restrict access to any other room apart from the assigned puppy area by using baby gates.
- Make sure to sweep the assigned area regularly so as keep it dry and provide your puppy with hygienic living conditions.
Choose a Comfortable Crate and Bedding for Your Puppy
Although Crate Training is a powerful method to train your puppy, it is not required. If you do go ahead and decide to crate train your puppy, ensure that the puppy can stand up, lie down, turn around without hunching. Also, add a soft bed inside the Crate.
- The main objective behind crate training is to teach the puppy that a crate is a safe place.
- We recommend you purchase a wired crate for your puppy. In that way, your puppy will be able to see everything around it. An open view will allow it to feel more secure and to be at peace.
- It would be best if you choose a machine washable bedding into which your Irish Doodle puppy can snuggle into. It would be fantastic if you get two sets of beddings instead of one. That way, when one bedding gets dirty and needs a wash, you can use the other one.
- The bedding should be raised slightly above the ground so that the puppy avoids draughts at floor level.
- It might be hard for your new puppy to fall asleep in the assigned area for the first few days. Being unable to do that is perfectly normal since the puppy is still getting used to the Crate and the surrounding.
Potty Training and the Equipment for it
Due to their hyper nature, potty training an Irish Doodle puppy can be too time-consuming and, to some extent, frustrating.
In case of an emergency, it is an excellent alternative to provide your puppy with a place to relieve itself indoors, even if you will take your puppy outside to a toilet spot.
Precisely for this purpose, puppy pads come in handy when it comes to potty training your puppy. These puppy pads are large, flat, and absorbent cloth (very much like diapers) that can be disposed of very conveniently.
- Using a newspaper is also a viable option; since a newspaper is less water-absorbent, it might leave you with some puppy urine on your floor.
- Getting some disposable kitchen towels, disinfectant sprays, and disposable gloves will also come in handy while cleaning the mess.
- Dog trainers recommend getting a timer and setting it off every half hour. In this way, every time the timer goes off, you can take your puppy out for a pee break.
Be Extra Careful with the Garbage Bin
Being inquisitive beings, you bet you will have a few mishaps related to your Irish Doodle puppy with the dustbins. Dogs, especially puppies, are led by their noses, and it so happens that the garbage is a treasure box of all kinds of fascinating smells.
Trust us when we say this: You do not want to come home with trash all over your house! Therefore, make sure not to let your tiny Irish Doodle get around any of the bins, even when you are not around.
A Few Guidelines for Your Irish Doodle Puppy
Issues regarding Crate Training:
- Based on your Irish Doodle puppy’s age, limit the amount of time it spends in the Crate:
- It should be no more than 30-60 minutes a day if your puppy is about ten weeks old.
- For an 11-14 weeks old pup, one to three hours should be ample time in the Crate.
- Three to Four hours in the Crate is sufficient for puppies aged between 15-16 weeks old.
- By the time your Irish Doodle puppy turns 17 weeks old, it should be able to spend about four to five hours in the Crate.
Note: Never leave your puppy in the Crate for the entire day. You should make sure to never use the Crate as a punishment or an isolation ward. For your puppy, the Crate should be a place where it goes willingly for a time-out or a safe place for your pup to be whenever you are not around.
The Garbage Attack
The bin can be a source of pests and diseases for your tiny puppy. There is a lot of stuff in our trash cans that can make puppies sick. From foods that are poisonous to your puppy, such as candy with xylitol, glass to medications, our garbage contains all sorts of harmful things.
To avoid such incidents, you can either move your trash can, modify it or buy a new one that your puppy can’t get into.
Possible Health Related Issues
Being hardy dogs, they have benefitted by crossing their parental genes, which has made the resulting generation much more disease resilient and sturdy than their parents.
Although as accurate as that might be, Irish Poo Setters are still not immune to many other illnesses; conditions such as Addison’s disease, bloat, epilepsy, and so on.
Whether a dog is purebred or a crossbreed, we cannot predict their future health conditions for sure. Therefore, be attentive towards your dog for specific physiological issues like hip dysplasia, blindness, deafness, especially as your puppy gets older.
Bringing someone into your life and your home is no easy task. Remember that just as much as you are nervous and excited, so is your puppy. It hasn’t been easy for your puppy to make its way to you after being separated from its parents and siblings.
After going through this article, we hope you are better prepared and looking forward to a journey with the newest addition to your family, an Irish Doodle puppy.
If you have properly gone through the checklist and the guidelines, you will find it easier to make this transition for both you and your dog a lot smoother and calmer.
Irish Doodles are some of the most affectionate, loving, intelligent, and friendly dogs. They love to entertain and be the center of attention and make for a loyal family companion.
Follow the guide and do what is right for your puppy, and your puppy will shower you with its love, adoration, and loyalty for the rest of its life.
Some of My Favorite Products For Dog Owners
I hope this article has helped you just a bit in the everyday life as a dog owner. Being a dog owner for more than 25 years myself, I’ve tried an abundance of different products with varying success, but these products below are some that I can highly recommend to every dog and their owner without hesitation!
These links are affiliate links, so if you do end up using the links, I will earn a commission. But it’s products that I use on a daily basis myself, and have nothing but praise for.
Dog Food: Every dog needs to eat properly, and finding the best food for your dog can be hard, as the market is absolutely flooded with products. But since 2015 when the company was founded, I’ve been using Ollie Petfood. With their product being tailor-made to suit every dogs’ specific needs, and as my dogs absolutely love the product, I’m pretty sure I’ve found a product I will continue to use for many years more. If you use my link you can get 50% off your first order.
Dog Training: If you’ve ever owned a puppy, you know that they require a lot of training to grow into a well-behaved adult. Brain Training for Dogs has helped me immensely with the mental training part of raising a dog, and it’s something I strongly recommend you consider.
Grooming: If you have a dog in your home, you’re going to need a brush, and for this, I recommend a Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush. For that price, you simply can’t beat this brush for everyday grooming.
If you’re looking for the most up-to-date recommendations, check out my recommended products section that I’ve created to help every dog owner!