Looking for the best food for Swiss Doodles? Often, pet owners can end up feeding their pets the type of food that is not exactly tailored to their needs. This is no surprise seeing that there is so much unhealthy processed food on the market.
Studies show that the number of unhealthy dogs is rising. Many dogs suffer from obesity, and there is a rise in cases like cancer, heart ailments, and diabetes.
With the absence of a reliable regulation system in the pet food industry, it becomes easy for some brands to cut corners. Some products are bulked with fillers, empty calories, and artificial additives- not the best choice for your pet’s health.
As a concerned pet owner, you may read the ingredient info before making a choice. Still, you cannot always trust what you see on the label. You will have to dig deeper to find a quality product.
But, worry not. The digging is over.
Here Is The Best Food For Swiss Doodles
|Check Best Price
|Check Best Price
|Wellness Core Complete
|Check Best Price
|Blue Buffalo Life Protection
|Best Puppy Food
|Check Best Price
|Hill’s Science Diet
|Best For Weightloss
|Check Best Price
|Taste of the Wild
|Check Best Price
Premium Choice: Ollie Pet food
Ollie is a New York-based pet food company. What makes this company stand out is its effort to provide fresh, healthy, and customized meals for dogs that is well packed and directly delivered to customers.
You can order the right amount of food for your pet by taking a simple quiz. The quiz asks for your dog’s breed, age, weight, activity level, body condition, etc., so that the company can put together the most suitable plan for your doodle’s health.
Ollie provides two main delivery plans. You can opt for the full meal plan that comes with 14 trays delivered every two weeks. The other plan is the supplement that comes with seven trays and is delivered every four weeks. The flexible management style allows you to make changes, pause, skip or cancel services at any time.
If you want to give Ollie a try, you can get your order with a 50% off for your first buy.
The recipes offer beef, chicken, turkey, and lamb as the main ingredient. The secondary ingredients are rich and vary for different recipes. The beef recipe features sweet potatoes, peas, and rosemary and the chicken recipe includes chia seeds, cod liver oil, and spinach.
The good points
- Wholesome and fresh ingredients
- Less gas and diarrhea, healthier stools
- Improves overall health
- Customizable meal plans
- Pricey. But, considering the quality, it’s worth the spend.
- The tray is not resealable. Still, you can always get a cover from your pantry.
Runners Up: Wellness Core Complete
- PROTEIN RICH ADULT DRY DOG FOOD: Nutritionally dense crunchy kibble with ingredients such as chicken and oatmeal for whole body health.
- ALL NATURAL: Created by nutritionists, veterinarians and animal lovers, our recipes provide an ideal balance of nature's finest ingredients, carefully selected to nourish and sustain your dog's wellbeing.
- SUPPORTS DIGESTIVE HEALTH & HEALTHY COAT: Supported by antioxidants for strong immune systems, vitamins for healthy eyes and teeth, glucosamine for strong joints, omega fatty acids ensure healthy skin and coat, and probiotics and taurine for a healthy heart.
- NO CORN, WHEAT, OR SOY: Adult dry dog food doesn't contain poultry by-products, wheat, wheat gluten, corn, soy, artificial colors, or preservatives.
- MADE IN USA: Using only the finest globally sourced ingredients, we prepare each of our diets in our own state of the art facility; recipes crafted with wholesome, non-GMO ingredients chosen for their nutritional benefits
The Wellness dog food company is an old name in the market. An admirable feature of this company is that they are environmentally conscious, dedicated to creating sustainable initiatives.
Wellness core dog food is a protein-rich kibble and wet food. Food toppings are also available to induce the appetite of picky eaters. And your Doodles deserve a treat for their adorability level; you can choose from a variety of treats.
You can introduce Wellness to your puppies with the puppy formula available in three varieties- regular, small breed, and large breed formula.
Whether it is for your growing puppy or your adult Doodle, you can rest assured that you will be giving no unnecessary fillers to your pet. The food products are also coated with gut-friendly microorganisms for better digestion and immunity.
The products in the grain-free range feature natural ingredients: protein-packed chicken, fish and turkey, taurine for a healthy heart, glucosamine and chondroitin for bone and joint health, fibers for digestion and, minerals and vitamins.
The good points
- Nutrient-rich healthy food
- Well-balanced formulation
- Grain-free, no fillers, and artificial additives
- Kibbles come with prebiotics and probiotics
- Potato- a chief ingredient in some products, is highly glycemic
- Pricey compared to other food brands on the market
Best Food For Swiss Doodle Puppies: Blue Buffalo Life Protection
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient; High-quality protein from real chicken helps your dog build and maintain healthy muscles; Plus they contain wholesome whole grains, garden veggies and fruit
- FOR PUPPY DOGS: Specially formulated for puppies, BLUE Life Protection Formula Puppy Food contains DHA and ARA (important fatty acids found in mother’s milk) to support cognitive function and retinal health
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage needs and a healthy oxidative balance
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog foods are made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- PACKAGING MAY VARY: Contains one (1) 30 lb. Bag of BLUE Life Protection Formula Puppy Dry Dog Food, Chicken and Brown Rice
A holistic brand, the company offers one of the widest ranges of dog food. Nurture your Doodle throughout its life with products that are age and size-specific. The brand also provides small breed and large breed options. You can also opt for healthy grain-free formulas if your companion has a sensitive tummy.
Blue Buffalo Formulas are made with love for your furry friend. Their recipes do away with artificial enhancers and preservatives. Poultry by-product meals and fillers like corn, wheat, and soy are avoided in their products.
The company uses high-quality products that are mostly from local sources. Blue Buffalo Life Protection is plant-based, making it a good food choice for less active dog breeds. The dog food has a moderate amount of meat that is always mentioned on the label. Its main ingredients are a rich, well-balanced blend of fruits and vegetables, and minerals that support healthy bones, teeth, and joints.
Blue’s dry foods feature LifeSource Bits, a carefully prepared mixture of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that improve immunity and provide for your dog’s health requirements.
The good points
- Reasonable price
- Tailor-made food product for different ages and sizes
- Premium-quality dog food
- Ziplock package for convenient storage
- LifeSource bits are sometimes ignored by picky eaters as the bits are not blended into the food.
- A high amount of calories in some products – not the best choice for obese dogs.
Best Weight Loss Food: Hill’s Science Diet
- A large breed puppy food specially made with an optimal level of calcium for controlled bone growth
- Uses a balanced set of minerals to promote strong bones and teeth in large puppies
- Uses DHA from fish oil to support healthy brain and eye development for growing dogs
- High quality protein helps your large pup build and maintain lean muscle; Not recommended for adult or mature adult dogs
- Made with natural ingredients; Caloric Content: 394 kcal/cup
Hills is a unique brand that focuses on recipes that target specific dog ailments. Now, your furry companion can get the right food for its special need.
Hills food products focus on weight management, digestion, skin and joint health, and gastrointestinal issues.
The Science Diet range focuses on providing dogs the best biology-based formulations to help dogs live a healthy life.
One of its most popular formulations is the Sensitive Stomach and Skin Dry Dog Food. It features easily digestible proteins and carbs for dogs with sensitive tummies.
Still, chicken is a secondary ingredient and, if your companion is highly allergic to chicken, you will do well to avoid it.
The formulation for weight management has a high protein content and low-calorie count- a good choice if your canine is showing signs of obesity.
The product has a high plant-based protein content and is also gluten-rich. This can be a cause of concern for pet owners who own allergy-sensitive dogs.
Hills provide a moderate amount of meat protein and animal fat. Meat protein that is used in any formulation is always specified in the label.
The good side
- Specific formulations for health problems
- Carbs content is 52%, with lower animal protein and animal fat content
- The grain is used in most of the formulation
Best Budget: Taste Of The Wild
- Taste of the Wild with Ancient Grains Ancient Stream with SMOKE-FLAVORED SALMON dry dog food; REAL FISH is the #1 ingredient; high-protein (30%) to help support bones, joints and LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- Nutrient-rich and provides the energy to thrive; vitamins and minerals from SUPERFOODS and ANCIENT GRAINS; omega fatty acids for healthy SKIN and COAT
- Each serving includes high levels of species-specific, K9 Strain PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS — plus antioxidants and prebiotics — to help support healthy digestion, immune system and overall health and wellness
- FAMILY-OWNED and MADE in the USA using quality ingredients from trusted domestic and global sources
Taste of the Wild strays from standards with their variety of meat protein, which includes buffalo, venison, duck, and salmon.
With their premium quality grain-free dog food, your canine gets to experience their ancestral diet.
The amount of variants implies that it could be the choice for dogs that are allergic to chicken or beef. And if your dogs have sensitive tummies, TOTW’s grain-free formulations along with their novel animal proteins could solve the food problem.
The brand does away with grains like corn, soy, and wheat, which may be allergenic to some pets. It uses wholesome carbs like peas, sweet potatoes, and potatoes in its formulations.
By choosing this brand, your fur companion gets to enjoy a well-formulated diet that comes with easily digestible carbs, vitamins, and minerals. The food also includes prebiotics and probiotics to ensure a smooth digestion process and to improve health.
The good side
Unique animal proteins
Easily digestible ingredients
Potatoes are highly glycemic- not the food choice for diabetic dogs.
The nutrient profile of your food choice should pass the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) procedures.
Higher prices do not always mean the best quality. Read the ingredient list to see if you can recognize the first five ingredients. That should give you a good idea of whether the food is suitable or not. Or you can always get a food guide from a trusted vet or an expert.
Food Choices for your Companion
Dry Food (Kibble)
Kibbles are the most preferred choice because of their long shelf life and easy storage.
Kibbles are made through the extrusion process or by oven baking. This food type can keep your dog’s teeth healthy by reducing the build-up of tartar.
Dehydrated dog foods are more expensive than kibbles though they contain lesser moisture, so you feed your dog lesser. It is best to rehydrate this type of food to make it more chewable.
Also called wet food, it can be an expensive choice. Canned food usually has a higher protein and fat content and lesser carb content. So, it’s no surprise that dogs enjoy canned food, and for some owners, it’s worth the expense.
If you opt for this, you must check that the water content does not make up for most of the food. If the food mentions “in sauce” or “in gravy”, it could mean a higher nutrient content.
You can purchase canned food by the case to lower a bit of expense. And, if you have a senior companion, this food choice could help with the appetite.
Frozen Raw Food
This diet is raw meat with some bones and organs. You just have to make sure the meat thaws properly before you feed your pet.
It’s a suitable diet for many dogs as they have more inclination for meat, and their digestive systems are equipped for it. Still, it will be best to consult your vet first before starting the diet.
There is also refrigerated fresh food like Ollie’s. Their recipes could be a healthy option for pets, coming closer to home-cooked food.
You may want to treat your companion to food that you have prepared with love and care. Preparing your dog’s meals means that you have total control over what goes inside your pet’s stomach. It is a great option if you have enough time on your hands. Still, you will want to consult the vet or an expert who can guide you to your dog’s nutritional needs and help prepare the right recipes for your Doodle.
Mixes and Pre-Mixes
Recognizing the need for a wholesome meal, some companies provide this range of food. Mixes are flexible diet choices. You can add ingredients of your choice or add nutrients that your dog needs to create a well-formulated diet.
Most dogs do not need supplements. If your dog is fed a high-quality meal, the food will usually have all the nutrients a dog needs. Still, if your dog is prone to joint problems or, it has a chance of developing arthritis, you can get glucosamine and chondroitin supplements.
How Much Should You Feed Your Dog?
You’ve gone to great lengths to find the right food for your companion. Now, it’s time to get their portion right. After all, the right amount and quality of food are important for their optimum health and energy to bounce through life.
You may assume that a bigger dog needs more food. But that is not always the case. A young puppy needs enough food to help it grow well through its developing stages. Besides, the growing stage is when they are bubbling with life- and they need enough energy to fund their activities.
Finding the right amount of food to give your pet does not come with a mathematical formula- disappointing, right?
As a pet owner, you will need to monitor the needs of your pups. If your pet is getting a healthy amount of food, it will show in the shine of their coat and skin health. If your pet still looks hungry or looks tired, you can try changing its diet gradually.
If they seem to be gaining more weight than is necessary, their hungry looks may be fooling you. You may have to hold back a little.
If your pet and you are still struggling with the food balance, get a vet or an expert’s help to frame a diet plan.
You probably have a good idea now to give your pet the best food after all that you’ve read. So, go ahead and give your Doodle a healthy, happy life.
Some of My Favorite Products For Dog Owners
I hope this article has helped you just a bit in everyday life as a dog owner. Being a dog owner for more than 25 years, I’ve tried many different products with varying success, but these products below are some that I can highly recommend to every dog and their owner without hesitation!
These links are affiliate links, so if you do end up using the links, I will earn a commission. But it’s products that I use daily myself, and I have the utmost praise for.
Dog Food: Every dog needs to eat correctly, and finding the best food for your dog can be challenging, as the market is absolutely flooded with products. But since 2015 when the company was founded, I’ve been using Ollie Petfood. With their product being tailor-made to suit every dog’s specific needs, and as my dogs love the product, I’m pretty sure I’ve found a product I will continue to use for many years more. If you use my link you can get 50% off your first order.
Dog Training: If you’ve ever owned a puppy, you know that it requires a lot of training to grow into a well-behaved adult. Brain Training for Dogs has helped me immensely with the mental training part of raising a dog, and it’s something I strongly recommend you consider.
Grooming: If you have a dog in your home, you’re going to need a brush, and for this, I recommend a Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush. For that price, you simply can’t beat this brush for everyday grooming.
If you’re looking for the most up-to-date recommendations, check out my recommended products section that I’ve created to help every dog owner!