You probably would agree with me that Havapoos or Poovanese are the most adorable and fluffy pets you could ever ask for. If you are a parent like me to a Havapoo, you would understand how much they love going for walks and playing in the park. But with all these great moments comes worry. They sometimes love to play too much and get themselves dirty or become too adventurous and wander around every street corner. That’s where the best Havapoo harness becomes relevant.
Just as a child requires nurturing and discipline, the same goes for your pet. Getting a harness is the first step to make sure your dog doesn’t get into trouble. It will not only spare you the energy from chasing around your dog in public but will also make your Havapoo more discipline. Now you must be wondering what will be the best harness? But before that, we need to do some digging about Havapoos.
All You Need to Know About Havapoos
Havapoos, also known as Havadoodle, Poovanese, and Island Mini Doodle, is a hybrid dog mixed with a Havanese and a Poodle. These designer dogs were discovered 20-30 years ago and gained popularity for being companion dogs. Havapoos are intelligent, friendly, active, playful, and non-aggressive.
Due to their temperament, Havapoos became prevalent amongst families, especially with kids, and can adapt very well to small spaces. They are also effortless to train and love affection and snuggling. So why wouldn’t anyone want them? Moreover, this dog breed won’t trigger your allergies, as they shed less due to their Poodle genes, making it the perfect and safe companion for you and your family.
Why Does Your Havapoo Need a Harness?
There is no harm in questioning why your Havapoo would need a harness. You may wonder that a collar, leash, or toy should do the trick, but there is more. To know what, you better have a look at the list.
- Havapoos have separation anxiety which might lead to biting, barking, or chewing. In such a situation, the harness can be used to control their movement to avoid any accident.
- Since they are famous for being easy to train, harnesses are an efficient tool to help them walk appropriately during their early days. Also, while training, the harness can help them from tangled because of the leash that might hurt them.
- As Havapoos are small breed dogs, they have higher chances of getting hurt while pulling or tugging on the leash. Using a harness will diffuse such pressure and reduce tension on the dog’s neck and back.
- If your dog wears a collar attached to a leash and if pulled, it continues to move forward. But in a harness, even when connected to the dog’s chest or the shoulder blades, it redirects its movement. Meaning, the harness doesn’t encourage pulling.
- In case after lying or sitting, your dog requires backing to stand, the harness will smoothly pull him up without any discomfort.
- It also presents excellent control when you take your dog around crowded areas to avoid it from loitering.
Types of Harness
If I have managed to convince you that harnesses are necessary for your dog, you might want to know which type of harness you should get. To clear that doubt, firstly, look at the types of harnesses that are popular in the market.
Front Clip Harness
How can you discipline or tame your dog when trying to train and teach him to be on a leash? Start by using a front clip harness. It comes with a clip either on the neck base or the chest of the harness. Front clip harnesses are generally used while training a dog as it gives the owner better lead on the dog during training or walking.
Another plus point is that while helping your dog behave better during walks, the harness comes as a savior. Due to its front clip, you can secure the harness, giving you control while walking your dog. Just make sure that when you use this type of harness, take the lead, for the harness may get entangled with the leash due to the arrangement of the clip.
Back Clip Harness
I can specifically relate to this back clip harness as they are designed for smaller dogs. My Havapoo finds it more comfortable since the pressure released by the harness is very neutral. Also, Havapoos have fragile and small necks, and the harness doesn’t put force on the throats such as collars. Another great deal is that the harness is very convenient for the leash to be attached to the back doesn’t tangle.
What to Keep in Mind While Purchasing a Harness?
Please don’t be in a hurry to buy any harness you lay your eyes on. Understand the functionality, features of the harness, and most of all, understand what your dog needs. So here are few things you need to keep in mind while getting a harness.
Know Your Dog’s Size
You may be excited to purchase a harness, but you might end up getting the wrong one if you aren’t aware of your dog’s size. So make sure you get the correct measurements of your dog. If you don’t know how to, follow these steps-
- For the neck, you can put the tape about the deepest area of the neck and get the measurement
- For the chest, use a cloth tape and measure the dog’s rib cage followed by the back and from the back to the origin of where the measurement started
- For the weight, get a weighing machine and begin by weighing yourself. Next, carry your dog and check both your’s and the dog’s weight together. Finally, the difference is the weight of your dog.
The harnesses come in various materials like canvas, mesh, or straps made to cater to specific requirements. For example, mesh harnesses are lightweight, adjustable, easy to release buckle, and excellent for small dogs with fragile necks. Therefore it is essential to check which kind of material is best suited for your dog. Also, ensure that the material you choose is comfortable and breathable so that it doesn’t cause any cut or sores to the dog.
Another element to remember while selecting a harness is that Havapoos love to swim, well, not all but a few. With that in mind, get a harness that helps to float easier and dries quickly.
Before you put the harness in the cart, scan through the attachment points to see if they are solid and long-lasting, as you don’t want to end up with a harness that will break easily. Also, check the availability of a handle in the harness and ensure it is burdensome so that it doesn’t break while you lift your dog.
A good-looking or functional harness is of no use if you cannot adjust the harness. So when you look for a harness, double-check if you can secure or unfasten the harness in essential areas. Don’t rely only on the manufacturer sizing, as every dog is distinct.
Best Havapoo Harness
As someone who has personally purchased and tested all these products for my dog, I’d like to recommend my personal favorites. But I won’t simply provide you with a list for convenience. Instead, I will break it down into categories to help you decide better.
Best Overall: Voyager Step-In
If you are concerned about the weather not favoring the harness, you better brush off your worries as the Voyager Step-In harness has been designed to allow you and your pet to enjoy endless walks no matter the weather. The harness is made of mesh material that helps your dog stay cool and act as padding for cold weather. It also uniformly dispenses the pressure and avoids choking.
The brownie points about this harness are its security. It comes with solid velcro closure with heavy-duty metal D-rings to ensure the leash is well attached to the harness. And the best part is that my Havapoo or any small breed dog would feel comfortable in it due to its lightweight fabric.
If you only want to purchase one harness, the Voyager step-in is my choice as the best Havapoo harness you can get.
- Easy to wear
- Very sturdy and allows proper airflow
- Material is delicate and doesn’t irritate
- It comes in various size options and colors
- It consists of two reflective bands to intensify your pet’s presence during early morning or late night walks
- Designed with three safety features where the hook and loop quickens the buckling process and double D-rings for secure attachment
- The sizing may not be precisely accurate for your dog
- May pull down your dog’s hair while removing due to the velcro
Best for Training: PHOEPET
You know your Havapoo is born to train. So what better way to start the training? Get The PHOEPET, which has been upgraded to ensure your dog receives all the requirements while training. The product is straightforward to wear and remove due to the three snap buckles on the neck and chest.
The harness has two strong metal hook loops, one on the chest and back for attaching the leash. Furthermore, there are handles on the back, making it easier to control the dogs while pulling and also helps in taking the dogs inside the car.
- Easy to adjust and no need to go overhead for attachment
- It comes with a no-pull feature with two D-rings in the front and back, where the front helps control the dog without any discomfort, and the back is handy for walks, hiking, or jogging.
- The no-pull harness is created from breathable mesh for the dog’s safety and comfort and functions as good padding. Overall, the harness is solid and enjoyable.
- It has an ultra-reflective strip to ensure your dog’s visibility to avoid any incident
- The harness is attached with a durable handle to control and grab your dog faster whenever necessary
- The product comes with a refund or replacement policy
- Not suitable for barrel-chested or long-bodied dogs
- The harness may be loose for thin/skinny dogs
Best for Night Walks: Juxzh Truelove
If you and your Havapoo enjoy night walks, the Juxzh Truelove is the best choice to consider. Why? It is an adjustable harness that is not only stylish but strong and easy to wear and take off. It is also a comfortable harness due to its lightweight mesh material and padding, protecting it from injuries.
Juxzh has safety features like nylon webbing, a reflective strip so that the dog is visible in dark areas, and a rigid handle for solid attachment, especially during car rides. Moreover, there are two leash attachment points present on the back and chest. The back point is made of aluminum-alloy and known as V-Ring, whereas the chest point is made of stainless steel and known as O-ring, which is both solid and durable.
- It comes with two adjustable buckles and two following straps for good fitting
- No pull harness and all-day harness
- Suitable for outdoors
- Not fit for medium or big dogs, which shouldn’t be a problem for a Havapoo…
How to Wear a Harness?
The next and most straightforward step is to understand how to make your dog wear a harness. It is a hassle-free task. All you need to do is follow these steps-
- Firstly ensure your dog is standing straight
- Place the pet’s front legs in the harness
- Tug the harness and cloak it around the chest, and secure both hooks and loops
- Finally, clip the leash on the D-rings
Conclusion on Best Havapoo Harness
Being parents to our pets, it is our responsibility to get them the right and safest harness. Since every dog is unique, please do thorough research before making any decision. Romeo (my Havapoo) and I hope your pet finds the perfect harness and enjoys long walks in it.
Some of My Favorite Products For Dog Owners
I hope this article has helped you just a bit in the everyday life as a dog owner. Being a dog owner for more than 25 years myself, I’ve tried an abundance of different products with varying success, but these products below are some that I can highly recommend to every dog and their owner without hesitation!
These links are affiliate links, so if you do end up using the links, I will earn a commission. But it’s products that I use on a daily basis myself, and have nothing but praise for.
Dog Food: Every dog needs to eat properly, and finding the best food for your dog can be hard, as the market is absolutely flooded with products. But since 2015 when the company was founded, I’ve been using Ollie Petfood. With their product being tailor-made to suit every dogs’ specific needs, and as my dogs absolutely love the product, I’m pretty sure I’ve found a product I will continue to use for many years more. If you use my link you can get 50% off your first order.
Dog Training: If you’ve ever owned a puppy, you know that they require a lot of training to grow into a well-behaved adult. Brain Training for Dogs has helped me immensely with the mental training part of raising a dog, and it’s something I strongly recommend you consider.
Grooming: If you have a dog in your home, you’re going to need a brush, and for this, I recommend a Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush. For that price, you simply can’t beat this brush for everyday grooming.
If you’re looking for the most up-to-date recommendations, check out my recommended products section that I’ve created to help every dog owner!