So, you have brought a designer dog for a pet! What next? You may want to take it out for walks, training, exercises, etc. However, as they are otherwise known, these Yorkie Poo’s can get a tad too excited with outings initially. For which reason, investing in the best Yorkie Poo harness is necessary.
Choosing the best for your Yorkie Poo can be tasking. Not anymore! We have listed the top best harness for your Yorkie poo.
The best part about this curated list? We have picked these top three products after purchasing, trying, and testing them for ourselves. We bet you won’t be disappointed with the quality, ease of use, durability, and design!
Let’s find out more.
Do Yorkie Poos Need a Harness?
Before we jump straight into figuring out the best harness for your Yorkie poo – let’s look into some common confusion that Yorkie-owners have. It will clear your doubts regarding the importance of a harness.
- Does a Yorkie Poo need a harness?
Well, Yorkie Poos are the ultimate toy-sized pets. They are miniature dogs with a height of about six to eight inches and weights up to a maximum of 10 pounds.
But don’t let this miniature Poo fool you!
These designer dogs are adventurous, active, playful, persistent, and highly tenacious. That said, they are affectionate, loving and make for the most adorable pets.
Initially, it may require you to introduce them to a social training outing for a walk or park. If you take them out without using a leash or harness, they may get too excited and run about all around. It may get difficult to catch hold of the Yorkie/may be difficult to spot it immediately, considering its small size.
Hence, it is indispensable to purchase a harness for your Yorkie Poo.
- Which one is better for a Yorkie Poo – a dog collar or a harness?
A harness is best recommended for Yorkie Poos.
Yorkies are known to have delicate and fragile windpipes. During training, pulling the leash on its collar may have severe implications for the dog’s overall health.
In addition, collar leashes put the entire force on the neck area, making them choke. However, when you have to pull your Yorkies, the pressure/force is distributed across the body with a harness.
The Best Type of Harness For Your Yorkie Poo
Utmost care should be taken when purchasing a harness for your little Yorkie.
The first and foremost consideration should be their small size and a harness that ensures maximum comfort.
Let’s quickly and briefly highlight the different types of harnesses for different situations.
- Vest type/strap type harness for walking exercises
Yorkie Poos need at least 20-30 minute of walking activity daily. The harness comes in two variants for all your walk sessions, Vest type, and strap type harness.
While both types are suitable, we prefer the vest-type harness for our adorable Yorkie Poo. That is because the vest type allows for equal distribution of pressure while navigating the walk sessions.
- Harness for car travels
You bet – a Yorkie makes for an excellent companion if you are looking for an adventurous companion for your travel plans.
If you want to ensure your Yorkie’s safety when traveling, it is best to look out for vehicle harnesses.
- Soft material harness
It is important to note that Yorkies did have an undercoat, meaning they only have thin fur. Meaning, rough materials will irritate their skin quickly.
Always ensure that you get a soft material with padding for your Yorkie’s harness.
Now that you have an idea of what harness works best for Yorkie Poo’s let’s find out our top three picks.
Top 3 Best Yorkie Poo Harness
Overall Best Yorkie Poo Harness – VOYAGER Step-In Harness
The brand, Best Pet Supplies, markets the Voyager Step-in harness.
Out top harness pick for the designer dog, Yorkie Poo, is undoubtedly the Voyager step-in harness. Its functionality, comprehensive design options, durability, and budget-friendly range make it the best overall harness for a Yorkie. We also absolutely love its breathable mesh material that is an all-weather tolerant harness.
It is also one of the highest and best-selling dog harnesses.
- They are designed with soft and heavy-duty outer mesh materials along with sturdy double D rings. The harness material is also tolerant to all weather types.
- It comes in about 40 color, design, and matching body-and-trim color variants. The wide choice of design and colors will make sure you pick one that suits your Yorkie Poo’s specific personality.
- The size variations come in six different small-size options. It makes choosing a perfect size according to the measurements of your Yorkie Poo.
- Putting it on a dog is as easy as stepping into it, buckle it, and your Yorkie Poo is good to go.
- With its breathable material, it helps maintain a cool temperature for your Yorkie poo. At the same time, it also acts as an insulation for winter seasons.
- There is a high-quality assurance over its sturdy and durable materials.
- On both sides of the harness, there are two reflective bands stitched to it. It helps locate your pet if your routine walks are during early morning hours or late evening/night strolls.
How to use
Before purchasing a random size, it is best first to measure out the exact measurements of your Yorkie. After which, you can refer to the sizing chart of the Voyager step-in harness. By doing so, you will be able to find a perfect fit according to your Yorkie’s size.
Once you have received the product, you can now put it on your Yorkie Poo.
- Unlock the fastener and place the harness at your Poo’s front legs.
- Once inside the legs, gently pull the harness up to the top of the Yorkie Poo’s back.
- Secure it by wrapping the harness ends around the chest of your Yorkie. Make sure it isn’t secured very tightly, leaving a little space for movement.
- The next thing is to secure the harness by buckling in the hook and loop fastener.
- Take both the double rings and hook them up with a clip-on leash.
- Check if it’s appropriately hooked, and then you can start walking around with your Yorkie.
- High and durable quality product.
- Soft and non-irritant material – safe to put on the whole day.
- Hassle-free usage – step-in, buckle-in, and go!
- Unique safety features – hooks, buckles, loop fastener, and double D rings.
- Ideal for winter and summer months.
- Equal distribution of pressure during pulling and navigating.
- Measurements need to be precise before purchasing one using a random size assumption.
- Need routine washing to avoid it from stinking.
Best Training Harness for a Yorkie Poo – PHOEPET No-Pull Harness
Our second pick is the no-pull harness for your Yorkie Poo, manufactured by Phoepet.
The feature that we like about this harness is its high size adjustability and its sturdiness. With this, we pick Phoepet’s no-pull harness as the best harness for training purposes.
Training sessions of socializing and walking our Poo becomes much easier with this harness. You no longer have to pull your dog, worrying at the same time that the pulling may hurt its body.
It makes for an excellent training, outdoor, all-day-long harness for your little active and playful Yorkie.
- It comes in 8 different shades and a combination of attractive colors to choose from.
- The entire harness has sections of reflective bands stitched onto it. The presence of these reflective bands ensures a dog’s safety during strolls in poorly lit areas. It also helps the dog owners locate them quickly. In addition, drivers can also take preventive measures should the Yorkie accidentally walk along the sides of a driveway.
- There are soft handles present at the back of the harness. This handle allows you to maneuver and control your Yorkie from a close distance during training purposes.
- With its three snap buckle design, putting it on your little Poo is as easy as pie. There are two snap buckles on the chest and one snap buckle on the neck area.
- Another cool feature about this harness is the presence of two hook loops. These loops are made of sturdy metal material and are present at the back and front. We prefer using the hooks on the front portion (near the chest), allowing for a better walking experience.
- The best part, though, if you are wondering. It’s got to be its fantastic customer service. Should you purchase the Phoepet harness and dislike its quality, there are options for replacement/complete refund.
How to use
Like all other harnesses, the sizing does not depend on the breed. Hence, proper measurement of your pet is a requisite before opting to purchase size by assumption.
Once you have received your harness, there is no sweating about putting it on your Poo, even if it’s for the first time.
Here are the easy-to-follow steps:
- Make your Yorkie stand in front of you.
- Firstly, wrap the harness around your Yorkie’s body. Take the snap buckle that is around the neck part, and buckle it.
- Then, proceed towards buckling the other two snap buckles –one at each side of the torso.
- These three buckles ensure that you secure the harness on your Yorkie Poo without the help of a second person.
- To take it off is also equally easy. Just unlock/unclick all the snap buckles, and it will instantly fall off your Yorkie Poo’s body.
- Sturdy handle for close handling of your Yorkie.
- Ultra reflective strips along with the whole harness.
- No-pull feature with back and front loop hooks.
- Soft, durable, breathable mesh material, safe, and comfortable dog harness.
- Highly adjustable size.
- If the Poo bites off/ any of the buckles come off, it is difficult to re-use.
- There are lesser color options.
Best For Night Walks – JUXZH TRUELOVE
The brand, Juxzh, manufactures the soft front, no-pull harness called Truelove.
If you maintain an active routine of daily night walks with your little Yorkie, we suggest that you get the truelove harness.
What we distinctly like about the truelove harness is its no-pull handle with two leash attachments. The polyester material with reflective lining makes it an ideal outdoor and night walks harness.
- With 11 different color options to choose from, you can pick one ideal one for your Yorkie.
- Truelove harness has an ergonomic design, made to fit your Yorkie Poo perfectly.
- It is made with comfort at its highest priority. The front part of the harness – chest and belly area has soft padding of sponge. The finishing of which is done with mesh lining.
- Another great feature of the truelove harness is its quality. The harness is made of Oxford quality, scratch-resistant, durable and tensile, lightweight and sturdy reflex buckles, and stylish design.
- It is an ideal harness for the night because of its enhanced night visibility. It becomes possible because of webbing together both nylon and reflective material.
- Two leash attachments with hoops enhance the safety insurance of the harness. One V-ring (aluminum) is at the back and one O-ring (stainless steel) on the chest area.
How to use
It is best to refer to the sizing reference chart if you want to pick the appropriate size for your Yorkie Poo.
- Make your Yorkie stand upright. Then, slide the harness across your Yorkie Poo’s body.
- There will be one clip buckle in the front (chest area). Clip the clasp on to secure the dog-harness.
- Make any final adjustments using the size adjustors on the sides.
- Once it is fit and secure, you can hook your leash either on the front or back hoops.
- Extremely durable harness.
- Reflective stitching makes it a perfect night stroll harness.
- Soft paddings make it extra comfortable.
- Materials ideal for outdoor usage, as well as safe to put on all day long.
- Pull handles on the back ensure great tensile strength.
- Pricing is a little on the higher side.
- Some Yorkies may react to the handle pull.
Some of My Favorite Products For Dog Owners
I hope this article has helped you just a bit in everyday life as a dog owner. Being a dog owner for more than 25 years myself, I’ve tried an abundance of different products with varying success, but these products below are some that I can highly recommend to every dog and their owner without hesitation!
These links are affiliate links, so if you do end up using the links, I will earn a commission. But it’s products that I use daily myself, and I have nothing but praise for.
Dog Food: Every dog needs to eat correctly, and finding the best food for your dog can be hard, as the market is absolutely flooded with products. But since 2015 when the company was founded, I’ve been using Ollie Petfood. With their product being tailor-made to suit every dog’s specific needs, and as my dogs absolutely love the product, I’m pretty sure I’ve found a product I will continue to use for many years more. If you use my link you can get 50% off your first order.
Dog Training: If you’ve ever owned a puppy, you know that they require a lot of training to grow into a well-behaved adult. Brain Training for Dogs has helped me immensely with the mental training part of raising a dog, and it’s something I strongly recommend you consider.
Grooming: If you have a dog in your home, you’re going to need a brush, and for this, I recommend a Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush. For that price, you simply can’t beat this brush for everyday grooming.
If you’re looking for the most up-to-date recommendations, check out my recommended products section that I’ve created to help every dog owner!