Is your dog nearing the end of her pregnancy period? If yes, you need to start looking for the best bedding for whelping box for her!
Breeding dogs is pretty common among pet owners. However, it can be quite overwhelming if it is your first time.
During the time of pregnancy, dogs become quite vulnerable and anxious. So, in order to make them feel comfortable and safe, you need to build a whelping box.
The whelping box is a contained space where your dog can give birth and nurture the litter of puppies. It is also known as whelping pen or nesting box.
This box is specially designed to protect the puppies during birth and keep them safe during the first few weeks. However, simply preparing a nesting box is not enough.
In order to make the box comfortable and protect the puppies from cold and body fluids, you need to cover it with “whelping bedding.”
Whelping bedding works as a mattress as well as a waterproof sheet to provide ultimate comfort to the mom as well as puppies.
It is specially designed in such a way that it absorbs body fluids as well as urine and stays dry for a long time. This helps in body-heat retention and protects the puppies from cold.
However, you should be very careful when selecting whelping bedding. Incorrect bedding can cause skin allergies and many other types of infections.
If it is your first time preparing a whelping box and caring for newborn puppies, we can help you. In this guide, we will discuss the 5 best bedding for litter of puppies.
The Best Bedding for Whelping Box
When it comes to setting up bedding in a whelping box, there are different types of options available for dog owners. Many breeders use newspaper, stray, or wood shavings as it is cheap and easy to replace.
However, it is not safe as these materials can prove to be hazardous for puppies. Wood shavings and straws can injure puppies, whereas newspaper ink can be toxic.
Some pet owners also use old towels and used clothes. However, it can suffocate the puppies. The best bedding options are puppy pads and dog beds.
While dog beds and be pretty expensive and difficult to clean, puppy pads or whelping mats for dogs are the best choices in every aspect. It is affordable, reusable, easy to clean, and specially designed for newborn puppies.
If you want to buy such type of bedding, here are the five best options available for you.
Best Overall: Peepeego Non-Slip Dog Pads
Peepeego non-slip dog pads are specially designed to fit snuggly in your dog’s whelping box and don’t slide around. When you use it for whelping, it will not slip. They are also durable and waterproof. The best feature about these dog pads is that they can be used again.
It is a multipurpose pad that you can use for whelping, training, and housebreaking. You can keep it in a playpen, kennel, or crate. These pads are available in 65 X 48 size, which is perfect for large dogs. You can use it for big as well as small dogs.
These dog pads are easy to store as well as use. You can easily keep it inside a whelping box as well as carry it with you. The material used in these pads is odor-resistant and waterproof. The rounded ends of the dog pad ensure stability and don’t fade during washing.
The Peepeego non-slip dog pads are ideal for dogs that love to be clean as it is fast, absorbent, and washable. It is the best overall bedding for whelping boxes in terms of price, durability, comfort, and ease of cleaning.
- Large Size: This pad is very popular among large dogs. The extra-large 65 X 48 size is great for older and pregnant dogs. It is large enough for the biggest breeds and is great for senior dogs. You can use it as potty pads for senior dogs as well.
- Absorbent and Leak Proof: It is made of leak-proof material and stays dry for a long time. This pad can handle 8 cups of urine which makes it perfect for whelping. There are 4 layers in this pad that makes it waterproof.
- Non-Slip: This dog pad packs a non-slip feature. The non-slip material makes it ideal for whelping boxes and other places where you want your dog to stay dry. It is soft and durable. The last layer of this pad is made of rubber which makes it stay in position.
- Multipurpose: It is a multipurpose dog pad that you can use as pee pads, dog bed cover, car seat cover as well as a floor protector. It can be used in the playpen, crate as well as a kennel, along with the whelping box.
- Environment-Friendly: You can easily wash and clean this dog pad to reuse it. It dries quickly and helps you to save a lot of resources and money compared to disposable pads.
- Made of non-slip, non-bunch, soft, and durable material
- Extra-large size for big dogs
- Four-layer waterproof material
- Works as whelping box bedding, pee pads, bed cover, potty pads, etc.
- Washable and reusable
- Single pad in each package
- No size and color options
Peepeego non-slip dog pad is the best bedding for the whelping box as it is large, durable, soft, comfortable, waterproof, washable, and affordable. The non-slip feature makes it perfect for keeping the whelping box clean.
Premium Pick: ITSOFT Whelping Box Liner Mat
The ITSOFT whelping box liner is a premium bedding product for dogs. It is made of non-woven fabric, which is safe for small puppies. The four-layer construction helps keep the whelping box as well as hardwood floors dry while still being very absorbent.
Its heavy-duty black stitching adds durability and style. It is ideal for use indoors and outdoors. This mat comes in several sizes and can be cut to fit any size whelping box. The washable lining is perfect for both puppies and moms.
Even though this product is a bit pricey, it offers some of the best features to keep the whelping box clean, dry and provide comfort to your dog and litter of puppies. It is washable and reusable.
You can use it in a whelping box as well as for a playpen, kennel, crate, and protecting floor surface from the liquid. The best thing about this mat is that it is customizable. You can easily create a dream whelping box with it as it comes with non-slip bottom.
- Floor Protection: This mat helps you to protect whelping box as well as floors by absorbing the liquid quickly. The waterproof layer prevents moisture from seeping into the floor. On top of that, the non-slip surface prevents it from slipping and damaging the floor.
- Perfect Material: The top layer of this mat is made of non-woven material. It stays dry and is perfect for daily use. The bottom layer is waterproof, which makes it perfect for whelping. As the material is durable, you can use it regularly for many years.
- Customize Size: This product is available in 2 sizes, i.e., 78 X 78 and 48 X 65 inches. You can easily buy the universal size and then customize it as per the size of the whelping box. It is easy to cut and install. The edges are not sharp and will not hurt the puppies.
- Easy to Clean: You can easily clean this mat with a water gun. If you don’t have this equipment, you can simply scrub it with normal detergent and air dry it. The material remains soft even after washing.
- Absorb and Dry: It can easily absorb plenty of liquid and retain it. However, it absorbs slowly and but dries pretty quickly, which is perfect for the whelping box.
- Easy to cut, customize and install
- Low maintenance and easy to wash
- Waterproof and slip-resistant
- Available in universal fit size and standard size
- Soft, warm, and insulated surface
- A bit on the pricey side
- Takes more time to absorb
The ITSOFT whelping box liner is perfect for the extra-large whelping box as it comes in a universal size. You can easily cut and customize it as per the size of the box. It is made of safe, washable, durable, warm, and comfortable material. If you need premium whelping bedding, this product is perfect.
Best Budget: Humane Pet Co Washable Pee Pads
The Humane Pet Company’s washable dog pee pad is reusable and the best budget bedding for whelping in the market. Compared to other products, it is extremely budget-friendly. This pad is available in 35 X 31 size, which is perfect for puppies as well as senior dogs.
There are two reusable packs available in one package, which you can easily wash in a machine. It comes with an extra absorbent layer for better absorption. The top layer is made of high-strength, liquid-permeable polyester fabric. Its non-filling structure holds up to two to three liters of liquid.
The next layer is a membrane, which prevents urine from leaking out. This feature is especially important for puppies and dogs, as waterproof materials can make floors slick and slippery. These pee pads are a great choice for dog owners who want to keep their homes smelling fresh. They are reusable and waterproof and have a non-slip backing. Unlike other dog potty pads, they are durable and are waterproof.
- Superior Absorbency: This pad is specially designed to hold more liquid compared to other whelping products. It comes with a 340 GSM polyester/rayon layer, which absorbs twice as much liquid and prevents floor damage.
- Easy to Clean and Washable: The best thing about this bedding is that it is machine washable. You can easily wash it in a machine and use it for a long time.
- Four Layers: There are four layers in this pee pad. The top layer is breathable to keep the puppies safe. The other layers keep absorbing liquid and offer a non-slip feature.
- Slip-Resistant Bottom: The bottom layer of this pee pad comes with a non-slip coating that prevents it from slipping inside the whelping box.
- Pet-Friendly Pattern: It is not only soft and comfortable but comes with a pet-friendly pattern. There is a paws and bones design on the pad, which makes it look attractive.
- Affordable compared to other whelping box beddings
- Comes with a cute paw and bones design
- 2 packs are available in one package
- Extra absorbent, washable, reusable, and durable
- 4-Layer pee pad with a breathable top layer
- Machine washable
- Size is a bit smaller in comparison with other pee pads
The Humane Pet Company’s washable dog pee pads are not only affordable but come in dual-pack and offer superior absorbency with a 4-layer coating. The washable and reusable feature makes it a perfect choice for pet owners who are looking for budget-friendly whelping box bedding.
Alternative: EZwhelp Pee Pads
EZwhelp Pee Pads are great for whelping bedding, floor mats, puppy training, and protecting your furniture. They use a patented wicking technology to pull fluids from the top layer into the middle soaker layer. This helps prevent any stains or odors from spreading throughout the home.
The absorbent material of these pads makes them attractive to puppies. On top of that, it is lightweight and comes in an attractive design pattern. They are safe for use in cars and on pets. In addition, they are environmentally friendly.
The reusable pads are easy to use and washable. They can also be used as kennel liners. They are great for puppies and can be reused for many years. You will get this product in many different sizes.
- Absorbent Pads: This whelping pad has 4 layers to absorb and hold fluids. The top layer easily absorbs liquid while the second layer holds it, and the third layer prevents seeping. The last layer minimizes slipping.
Multiple Surface Use: You can use this bedding on many surfaces like carpet, furniture, car, crate, house, etc.
- On top of that, you can use it for many purposes like whelping and potty training.
- Different Style and Sizes: These pads come in several sizes and are incredibly easy to use. The EZwhelp Pee Pads are available in packs of three to six. The smallest pack is 16.5 X 19.5 inches, and the largest one is 36 X 48 inches.
- Extra Durable: This product is extremely durable as it is quality material. You can easily wash it and reuse it.
- Available in 6 different sizes and designs
- Lasts for about more than 100 washing cycles
- 2 packs are available in one package
- Made of lightweight, soft, and extra-durable material
- Multipurpose and multi-surface use
- A large size pad is not available
EZwhelp Pee Pads are reusable, easy to use, and washable. They can also be used as kennel liners as well as for whelping. They are great for puppies and can be reused for many years. Moreover, they even work as a mattress protector. If your dog messes often, he’ll love this product. This product is a great choice for whelping.
Alternative: KOOLTAIL Washable Pee Pads
KOOLTAIL washable pee pads are perfect for whelping bedding as it is washable and absorb liquid quickly. It is waterproof and slip-resistant. The best thing about this product is that it is available in several sizes and colors. The 36-inch x 48-inch size is perfect for puppies and small dogs.
You will get four pads in 1 pack, and all are leak-proof and neutralize odors from your dog’s urine. This product works for whelping as well as potty training dogs and puppies.
This pad is made of top-quality material and is thoroughly tested, which makes it safe for puppies. The excellent water absorption of this product keeps the whelping box clean and dry.
- Great Water Absorption: This whelping pad quickly absorbs water and keeps the bedding dry. It prevents liquid from flowing keeps the bottom dry.
- Tested Product: This product is tested to ensure complete dryness and comfort to dogs and puppies. Customers can contact the support team if they face any problems when using it.
- Top Quality Material: It is made from 10% Polyurethan, 75% Polyester, and 15% Viskose. These materials are comfortable, soft, and suitable for pets.
- 4 Pad in 1 Pack: When you buy this bedding, you will get 4 reusable sets of pee pads. They are machine washable.
- Pack of 4 resalable and washable bedding
- Made of high density, durable and breathable material
- Machine washable
- Multipurpose use
- No customization available
KOOLTAIL washable pee pad is a good choice for a pet who is breeding dogs. The four-pack helps you to regularly change and clean bedding in a whelping box. They come in a variety of colors and are machine washable. It offers great absorbency and can be used indoors as well as outdoors.
How to Pick the Best Bedding for Newborn Puppies?
Before you purchase whelping bedding for newborn puppies, make sure you consider some important factors. It will not only help you to save money but also pick the best bedding for newborn puppies.
The first thing you need to consider is the size and shape of the whelping bedding. It should be large enough to hold the puppies and mother during the first few weeks. Bedding that is wide enough to hold the puppies is a good idea. As the pups grow, the size and shape of the bedding will change.
- Ease of Changing:
Another important factor you need to consider is the ease of changing the bedding. In order to maintain hygiene and keep the whelping box and puppies clean, you need to change the bedding daily. So make sure you select bedding that is easy to remove without causing any discomfort to your dog.
When it comes to buying bedding for whelping box, the most crucial aspect is the ability to wash it. Although giving birth is a dirty process, it is especially important to use clean bedding. A clean area is crucial for the pups, who will be incredibly vulnerable during this time. When it comes to choosing dog whelping bedding, make sure to choose a material that can be easily cleaned and reused. It will help you to save a lot of time and money.
- Softness and Comfort:
The bedding should be comfortable for the puppies and the dog. Select bedding that is soft so that your dog can rest and regain energy after the lengthy and exhausting process of birth. It will also help the puppies to grow without any fractures. The bedding should neither be too soft nor too firm. This way, the puppies can easily move towards the mother’s teat.
You also need to consider the cost of bedding. Not every pricey bedding is good for puppies. So, you need to compare different products and choose the one which offers better features at optimum price. It is best to go with comfortable, reusable bedding so that you can wash and use it again.
Lastly, make sure the whelping bedding offers warmth to the newborns. In order to regulate the body temperature of puppies, you need to select warm bedding that helps them to maintain proper temperature and protect them from cold. This is very important if you are living in a cold region.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What type of bedding is best for whelping?
Puppy bedding can be made from a variety of materials, including towels, sheets, blankets, and wood shavings. You should choose something that is easy to clean, as the puppy bed will need to be changed daily. Newspaper is a cheap alternative and is a great choice for a whelping box because it provides a solid floor. However, the newspaper is not ideal for newborn puppies as the ink can rub off onto the puppies. So, the best bedding for newborn puppies is whelping mats or puppy pads. It is specially designed for whelping and is affordable and easy to clean.
- What to use for puppy bedding?
You can use whelping mats for dogs if the puppy is really small. It is the best bedding for litter of puppies as the mats are soft, comfortable, and absorb urine and other bodily fluids. You can simply put it in the whelping box as well as remove it easily for cleaning. One of the biggest reasons to choose this bedding for your puppy is because it is durable, washable, and will not cause any irritation. This means that it is a long-term solution.
- Is straw bedding good for the whelping box?
In a whelping box, most breeders use shredded newspaper or straw to line the box. However, this material is not really safe for small puppies as it can cause skin irritation. Compared to other materials, straw can be dusty and can harbor parasites and other critters that can make the puppies sick. It can be hazardous if the puppies ingest the pieces. Luckily, there are many alternatives to straw. You can use puppy pads or whelping mats instead. These items are safe for the whelping box.
The type of bedding you choose for a dog during the whelping period is very important. To offer comfort and warmth, you need to select the best bedding for whelping box. It will not only help the dog recover but also protect the puppies. Newspaper, towels, used clothes, straws, wood shavings are some affordable options. However, a puppy pad and whelping mat is the best bedding for whelping box.
We have taken core factors into consideration like price, comfort, reusability, ease of cleaning, and warmth to select the best whelping bedding. We plan to update this page regularly as better bedding products launch. If you think we missed something or want to suggest anything, do let us know by commenting below.
Some of My Favorite Products For Dog Owners
I hope this article has helped you just a bit in the everyday life as a dog owner. Being a dog owner for more than 25 years myself, I’ve tried an abundance of different products with varying success, but these products below are some that I can highly recommend to every dog and their owner without hesitation!
These links are affiliate links, so if you do end up using the links, I will earn a commission. But it’s products that I use on a daily basis myself, and have nothing but praise for.
Dog Food: Every dog needs to eat properly, and finding the best food for your dog can be hard, as the market is absolutely flooded with products. But since 2015 when the company was founded, I’ve been using Ollie Petfood. With their product being tailor-made to suit every dogs’ specific needs, and as my dogs absolutely love the product, I’m pretty sure I’ve found a product I will continue to use for many years more. If you use my link you can get 50% off your first order.
Dog Training: If you’ve ever owned a puppy, you know that they require a lot of training to grow into a well-behaved adult. Brain Training for Dogs has helped me immensely with the mental training part of raising a dog, and it’s something I strongly recommend you consider.
Grooming: If you have a dog in your home, you’re going to need a brush, and for this, I recommend a Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush. For that price, you simply can’t beat this brush for everyday grooming.
If you’re looking for the most up-to-date recommendations, check out my recommended products section that I’ve created to help every dog owner!