For many dogs, allergies can be a real discomfort. Just like their human parents, dogs may have allergies to things like plant pollens, tree pollens, mold spores, dust particles, feathers, certain foods, or fleas.
Allergens can cause itching, sneezing in dogs, watery eyes, and gastrointestinal problems in dogs. Fortunately, there are solutions to help your pup manage allergies and itching while even decreasing its symptoms.
From immunity-boosting supplements and topical creams to home remedies like oatmeal baths and coconut oil, there are many ways to treat allergies and itchy skin in dogs.
Allergy medicine is a great way to relieve itching and other symptoms in dogs who have allergies. They usually include a mix of ingredients that boost your dog’s immune system, promote skin and digestive health, and help reduce itching.
What Can I Give My Dog for Allergies and Itching?
You can also use home remedies for allergies in dogs. Adding a small amount of coconut oil to your dog’s food can improve skin conditions such as itching or allergies. However, make sure you consult a vet before you give anything to your dog for allergies.
In this article, we are going to help you answer: what can I give my dogs for allergies and itching?
Allergies and Itching in Dogs
Your dog may be allergic to something they are exposed to in the environment, food, or even in their bedding. These allergens trigger an immune response that results in the release of histamines and other chemicals. The inflammation can be sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes, hives, and more.
Allergies in dogs can affect dogs of all ages, breeds, and mixes. Some dogs are more susceptible to allergies than others. Some common allergy-prone breeds include Bulldogs, Chinese Shar-Peis, Wirehaired Fox Terriers, Golden Retrievers, Boxers, Labrador Retrievers, Lhasa Apsos, Scottish Terriers, and Shih Tzus.
Often, the first symptom to appear is itching and scratching. Itching can occur on the face, ears, paws, front legs, and abdomen. Skin rashes and ear infections are also very common in dogs with allergies. These types of rashes may be itchy and red and can sometimes get bigger with time.
If you notice signs of allergies in your dog, take them to a vet. The veterinarian can identify the source of your pup’s allergies and provide the best treatment option.
Types of Allergies in Dogs
There are several types of allergies in dogs, some of which can be life-threatening.
If you are a dog parent, it is important to know about the types of allergies in dogs.
- Flea Allergy Dermatitis
Fleas are itchy critters that crawl through your pet’s fur and bite them. Some pets seem to be fine with them, while others develop flea allergy dermatitis (FAD). FAD is caused by an allergic reaction your dog’s immune system has to flea saliva. It’s not life-threatening, but it can cause intense itching and lead to secondary skin infections.
To diagnose flea allergy dermatitis, your veterinarian will take a detailed history of your pet’s itching and perform a thorough physical exam.
- Environmental Allergies
Environmental allergies can cause itchy skin, ear infections, and other symptoms in dogs. They are caused by substances that exist around your dog’s environment (allergens), like pollens, plant or animal fibers, dust mites, and mold spores.
Allergies can be inherited, or they can develop as an adult. They tend to develop in the first few years of life, with certain breeds, such as retrievers, terriers, and bulldogs, being more predisposed to them than others.
- Food Allergy
Food allergies are a relatively rare but serious condition in dogs that can result in itchy skin, paws, or ears and digestive disturbances like vomiting or diarrhea. They are often triggered by proteins found in beef, chicken, egg, dairy, soy, and wheat gluten.
To help figure out what’s causing your dog’s symptoms, you should share your pet’s history of eating with the vet. You’ll also need to keep track of any changes in gastrointestinal symptoms as well.
Symptoms of Allergies in Dogs
Like humans, dogs are also prone to allergies. Itchy, irritated skin is one of the primary signs of skin allergies in dogs. Allergens, irritants, foods, and parasites can all cause these allergies. Excessive or obsessive licking is often a sign of skin allergies, particularly around the belly, paws, and private parts.
In severe cases, dogs may bite themselves to relieve itching, which could lead to secondary infections like yeast or bacteria. It is important to understand the symptoms of allergies in dogs so that you can take appropriate measures.
Here are the common symptoms of allergies in dogs.
- Swelling of the ears, face, eyelids, lips, or earflaps
- Red, inflamed skin
- Itchy ears
- Chronic ear infections
- Itchy, runny eyes
- Constant licking
Best Treatment Options for Allergies and Itching In Dogs
Itching and scratching are symptoms of many different illnesses, but it’s also common signs of allergies in dogs.
Thankfully, veterinarians now offer a number of medications to help dogs ease the itching and pain caused by allergies. These medications include over-the-counter (OTC) options and prescription drugs.
If you’re not sure which is right for your dog, ask your vet for advice.
- ALLERGY MEDICATION: Benadryl Allergy Tablets for allergy relief helps to alleviate symptoms associated with allergies such as sneezing, runny nose, itchy throat or nose, and itchy/watery eyes; Powerful allergy and cold relief in just 1 pill.
- ANTIHISTAMINE: Allergy medication that temporarily provides allergy & cold relief for hay fever and other upper respiratory symptoms such as sneezing and runny nose; Relief from common allergens such as tree pollen, dust, mold and pet dander.
- COLD SYMPTOM RELIEF: Allergy antihistamine with diphenhydramine is formulated to help relieve multi-symptom allergy relief and cold symptom relief; Effective and powerful formula that works when you need it most.
- DIPHENHYDRAMINE FORMULA: Benadryl allergy medicine contains 25 mg of diphenhydramine HCl, an antihistamine that works to help provide allergy and upper respiratory relief.
- INCLUDES: Pack of 1, 100 ct allergy and cold relief medicine; Suitable for adults and children ages 6+; Safe and effective doctor-recommended allergy medicine.
A common over-the-counter medication that’s used by both pet owners and veterinarians, Benadryl can help relieve itching and other symptoms of allergies.
Benadryl Ultratabs is a great option for dogs that experience itching from allergies. They work to block the action of histamine, which reduces itching and inflammation. They also contain fatty acids from salmon oil and flaxseed to nourish the skin and promote healthy coats.
They come in an easy-to-swallow tablet form and can be taken on the go for quick relief.
Zesty Paws Aller-Immune Bites
- America’s #1 Selling Dog Supplement Brand on Amazon*
- Pawsome Immune Support - Zesty Paws Aller-Immune Bites are pet supplements that support immunity, digestive function, and sensitive skin, and may help maintain normal histamine levels for your doggy.
- Featuring EpiCor Pets - At 80 mg per chew, EpiCor Pets is a whole food yeast fermentate that helps support the immune system for your canine companion.
- Skin & Immunity - Includes Colostrum and Astragalus Root which may support normal histamine levels and immune response, plus Salmon Oil (with Omega-3 EPA & DHA fatty acids) for skin health.
- Gut Health - These chewables contain probiotics (with Lactobacillus acidophilus probiotic) to support normal gut flora for your pup.
Zesty Paws Aller-Immune Bites are a great way to support a dog’s immune system and skin health. They are easy to administer and provide a variety of ingredients to help alleviate itching and inflammation.
These soft chews feature a blend of EpiCor, an award-winning ingredient that is comprised of polyphenols, vitamins, and metabolites.
They also include Colostrum, Apple Cider Vinegar, Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil, and Probiotics to give your dog’s immune system the boost it needs.’They also include Colostrum, Apple Cider Vinegar, Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil, and Probiotics to give your dog’s immune system the boost it needs.
PetHonesty Allergy Support Supplement
- Healthier Dog. Happier You – This premium PetHonesty bundle includes our Allergy SkinHealth vitamins and Allergy Support chews and to keep your dog's coat and skin healthy and support their immune system with these daily vitamins!
- Soothes Skin-related Issues Associated With Seasonal Allergies – Owners who watch their dogs suffer from skin conditions like dermatitis, constant itching/scratching, hot spots and inflammation know how painful it can be. Filled with Omega-3s, Probiotics, Vitamin E and more, Allergy SkinHealth soft chews support healthy skin and skin-related issues associated with seasonal allergies and dry climates.
- Supports Normal Histamine Response And Dogs With Seasonal Allergies – PetHonesty’s Allergy Support chews combine natural ingredients to support a healthy immune system, a normal histamine response and dogs with seasonal and occasional allergies. Our allergy chews include natural wild alaskan salmon oil that contain healthy omega-3 fatty acids to support a healthy immune system and skin.
- Gentle, Natural + Made in the U.S.A. – Our treats are made with the highest quality natural ingredients and are free of added sugar, wheat, corn, preservatives and GMOs. You won’t find any chemicals or harmful fillers in our treats, guaranteeing the best and most wholesome chews for your dog
- Vet-recommended For Immune Support + Normal Histamine Response – PetHonesty’s Allergy Support soft chews are vet-recommended to support your dog’s with seasonal and occasional allergies and a healthy immune system. Alongside SkinHealth soft chews, a gentle and safe yet highly effective solution for your dog’s skin and coat issues. Filled with antioxidants, vitamins and healthy Omega-3’s and Omega-6’s that contribute to healthy skin and a shiny coat.
You can also use PetHonesty Allergy Support Supplement for itching in dogs. It is one of the best dog allergy supplements in the USA.
The product is made from bovine colostrum, which helps to encourage a normal histamine response in your dog’s body to environmental triggers. It also contains fish oil for healthy skin and coat, quercetin to decrease allergic reactions, and more.
It is a great choice for any dog that has seasonal, skin, or food allergies.
Virbac Allerderm Omegaderm EZ-Dose Packets
- -dose packets delivering high levels of omega-6 and omega-3 essential fatty acids in a 5: 1 ratio for healthy skin and coat support for dogs
- Also includes antioxidant vitamins a and E to support the Skins normal defenses
- Enhances natural organ defenses, restores skin integrity, and Improves hair coat quality
- A valuable asset in treatment plans for dermatological conditions with simple daily-administration
- Veterinarian recommended for dogs suffering from itchy skin known as pruritus
Virbac Allerderm Omegaderm EZ-Dose Packets for Dogs offer a unique veterinary formulation that delivers high levels of omega-6 and omega-3 essential fatty acids in a 5:1 ratio along with vitamin E.
This nourishing supplement enhances natural organ defenses, restores skin integrity, and improves hair coat quality. It helps reduce itching and inflammation and promotes skin health for a healthier dog.
NaturVet Aller-911 Advanced Allergy Aid
- HIGH-QUALITY ALLERGY SUPPLEMENT FOR DOGS, CATS: Help your furry friend weather the changes in season with this NaturVet Aller-011 Advanced Allergy Aid for Dogs and Cats. This pet supplement is rich in antioxidants, omegas, DHA and EPA to help boost your pet’s immune system.
- VITAMIN-ENHANCED PET SUPPLEMENTS FOR ALLERGIES: Ensure that your canine companion receives the nutrients he needs with these dog allergy supplements and cat allergy supplements that are cGMP compliant and made in the USA.
- DOG, CAT SUPPLEMENTS FOR IMMUNE SYSTEM SUPPORT: Available in soft chews, tablets and powder form, these dog and cat supplements for allergies are veterinarian formulated and designed to help combat environmental pollutants while supporting your pet’s immune system, skin moisture and respiratory health.
- TASTY CAT & DOG SUPPLEMENT: Fuel your pup’s body with the vitamins and minerals he needs to battle environmental allergies with a taste he loves. These soft chew, tablet and powder cat and dog supplements taste like a treat and help serve as a pet allergy aid.
- PET PRODUCTS YOU CAN TRUST: Since 1994, NaturVet has been serving the four-legged community with wholesome, vitamin-infused dog supplements so that your pup or senior dog maintains a healthy lifestyle. Made in the USA, each pet product from NaturVet is cGMP compliant and wheat-free.
NaturVet Aller-911 Advanced Allergy Aid is a great supplement for dogs that helps to boost your pet’s immune system, combat environmental pollutants and provide a bit of itching relief.
It’s a tasty powder formula that is packed with antioxidants, omegas, and other helpful ingredients to keep your dog happy and healthy. It also contains a blend of polyphenols, which help boost your dog’s immunity.
Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo
- RELIEF FOR ITCHY SKIN - Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo is a soothing, natural remedy for dogs with itchy skin due to allergies or sensitivity.
- EFFECTIVE AND PLEASING - Washes away allergens, relieves itchy skin, and leaves your dog smelling spa-day fresh.
- NATURAL REMEDY - We use a veterinarian formulated blend of essential oils and key natural ingredients (such as oatmeal, d’limonene, and tea tree oil) to calm and moisturize itchy, red skin.
- USE AS NEEDED - Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo may be used as often as necessary to remove allergens without drying out your dog’s skin.
- WORKS WITH OTHER TREATMENTS - Will not affect topical flea and tick control products.
Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Shampoo is a hypoallergenic, soap-free product that can provide quick and effective relief for dogs suffering from itchy skin caused by allergies.
This shampoo gently washes away itch-causing allergens and leaves your pup’s coat soft and shiny while calming and moisturizing the skin. It will not affect topical flea and tick control products and is safe for pets six weeks or older.
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hot Spot and Itch
- HELPS SUPPORT HEALTHY SKIN - With a wash and soaking of the coat for 5-10 minutes, our powerful ingredients work to help soothe red, scaly, greasy, or smelly skin that may cause your pet discomfort.
- FAST ACTING – Works fast to soothe your pet's sensitive skin that may be affected by environmental stressors.
- VET-RECOMMENDED – This pet shampoo is pH balanced for your pet's skin and is paraben and soap-free to promote overall skin and coat health without damaging detergents.
- FOR DOGS AND CATS – Our cat and dog shampoo is intended for pets over 12 weeks of age. Use twice weekly until skin clears up, then once a week to help maintain skin health.
- APPLICATION: This product is intended for topical use only. Read directions carefully before applying to your pet's coat. Test on a small area to avoid further sensitivity before using.
This medicated shampoo is formulated with lidocaine and hydrocortisone to reduce itching, redness, and swelling, while colloidal oatmeal, lactic acid, and aloe vera provide soothing and moisturizing comfort.
It also contains allantoin to promote wound healing, which can help treat itchy skin and irritated areas that are often associated with allergies, insect bites, and matted, dirty coats.
Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner for Dogs
- Non-irritating solution
- Use during routine cleansing of sensitive ears
- Removes debris and excessive wax and dries the ear canal.
- Recommended for pets with chronic otitis externa which is chronic inflammation of a dogs external ear canal.
- It has a low pH, so it shouldn't interfere with other ear preparations.
The Virbac Epi-Otic Advanced Ear Cleaner is a non-prescription product that includes aloe vera leaf juice and chlorhexidine, which help treat and prevent itching. It also contains ketoconazole, which helps fight yeast and bacteria that can lead to ear infections and inflammation.
This product is formulated to gently remove crusts and excessive cerumen while lubricating, cleaning, and drying the ear canal.
Earth-Rated Dog Wipes
- HIGH-QUALITY DOG WIPES: These textured wipes are the perfect everyday cleaning solution for your dog's paws, body, and butt. With their delightful lavender scent, they keep your dog smelling fresh and clean.
- GENTLE INGREDIENTS: These dog wipes contain high-quality ingredients like soothing aloe, shea butter, chamomile, and cucumber. They are perfect for cleaning your dog after walks, hikes, or in between baths.
- USER FRIENDLY: Made of thick, durable, USDA Certified 99% Biobased material, our plant-based dog wipes have just the right amount of moisture for an effective clean every time.
- A BETTER WIPE: Our dog wipes are hypoallergenic, cruelty-free, dermatologist-tested, and free of alcohol and parabens. Each wipe measures 8" L x 8" W. These dog wipes are not flushable.
- EARTH RATED: Our mission is to make everyday moments for people and their dogs simpler and better. We do this by designing innovative products that are thoughtfully unexpected. We are also proudly B Corp Certified.
If your dog’s skin is itchy or you find yourself having to wipe your pup down often, these Earth-Rated dog wipes are a great option. They’re 99% plant-based, certified compostable, and made with natural ingredients like aloe vera, shea butter, and chamomile.
These hypoallergenic wipes are ideal for removing dirt, dust, and other allergens between baths. They’re also perfect for cleaning up after a long walk.
Natural Remedies for Your Dog’s Itchy Skin and Skin Allergies
If you’re dealing with itchy skin or skin allergies in your dog, there are some natural remedies that can help. While these are not replacements for professional care, they can be a good place to start.
- A Nutritious Diet
If your dog has itchy skin or skin allergies, a nutritious diet can help them feel better. A diet that is high in animal protein, whole fresh foods, and essential vitamins and minerals will help support a healthy immune system, improve digestion, and keep the coat shiny and soft.
Dog food that is free from common allergens can also be helpful. Examples are dry or canned dog foods that are free from beef, chicken, pork, corn, wheat, egg, soy, and dairy to avoid triggering allergies or sensitivities.
- Aloe Vera
The gel of the aloe vera plant is a natural antiseptic and an excellent skin moisturizer. This is especially helpful for dogs that suffer from itchy skin or skin allergies. It also helps heal burns, wounds, infections, and eczema.
The juice of the inner leaf is anti-inflammatory and antifungal and can heal hot spots, lesions, rashes, and more.
- Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a natural remedy that can help relieve itchy skin and skin allergies in dogs. It has anti-inflammatory properties and is safe for use on most pets.
Some studies have shown that coconut oil can also promote wound healing and boost your dog’s immune system. However, it’s best to talk to your vet about this natural treatment option before you start using it on your dog.
- Oatmeal Bath
Oatmeal has long been known for its soothing properties, and a bath with oatmeal can be a great way to relax your dog and help relieve itching. Oatmeal absorbs water and can be easily prepared at home by using a blender, coffee grinder, or food processor.
To make an oatmeal bath at home, start with lukewarm water and sprinkle in about a cup of ground oats.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar, or ACV, has a lot of benefits and is easy to find at the grocery store. It’s a great alternative to synthetic products and can help your dog’s itchy skin and skin allergies. ACV contains acetic acid, which is an anti-inflammatory that relieves itching and rashes.
It also helps to prevent yeast infections and promotes healthy skin. It’s important to use raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar in order to reap the most benefits.
Dogs often suffer from allergies, which can cause a variety of symptoms. These can include itching, hives, and hair loss.
Allergies and itching are often caused by an overactive immune system reacting to one or more offending substances. Fortunately, there are a number of veterinarian-recommended treatment options to ease your dog’s symptoms.
There are various medications that can help treat allergies in dogs. These include antihistamines (Benadryl, Zyrtec), allergy shots, and immunotherapy.
Apart from that, you can also follow natural home treatments like oatmeal baths, apple cider vinegar, aloe vera, etc. However, before you follow any treatment, make sure you consult a vet.
Some of My Favorite Products For Dog Owners
I hope this article has helped you just a bit in everyday life as a dog owner. Being a dog owner for more than 25 years, I’ve tried many different products with varying success, but these products below are some that I can highly recommend to every dog and their owner without hesitation!
These links are affiliate links, so if you do end up using the links, I will earn a commission. But it’s products that I use daily myself, and I have the utmost praise for.
Dog Food: Every dog needs to eat correctly, and finding the best food for your dog can be challenging, as the market is absolutely flooded with products. But since 2015 when the company was founded, I’ve been using Ollie Petfood. With their product being tailor-made to suit every dog’s specific needs, and as my dogs love the product, I’m pretty sure I’ve found a product I will continue to use for many years more. If you use my link you can get 50% off your first order.
Dog Training: If you’ve ever owned a puppy, you know that it requires a lot of training to grow into a well-behaved adult. Brain Training for Dogs has helped me immensely with the mental training part of raising a dog, and it’s something I strongly recommend you consider.
Grooming: If you have a dog in your home, you’re going to need a brush, and for this, I recommend a Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush. For that price, you simply can’t beat this brush for everyday grooming.
If you’re looking for the most up-to-date recommendations, check out my recommended products section that I’ve created to help every dog owner!