Kalanchoe, also known as the widow’s-thrill or chandelier plant, is a beautiful houseplant. But is the Kalanchoe plant toxic to dogs? It comes in a range of colors, including red, orange, and green. Many people use this houseplant for decorative purposes in their homes.
The leaves of the Kalanchoe plant are toxic to many animals, including dogs. They contain cardiac glycosides, which can cause an abnormal heart rhythm. If your dog has ingested this plant, it can suffer from gastrointestinal irritation or upset. While the toxicity level of this plant is mild, it is recommended to keep it away from pets. If your dog has ingested a significant amount of Kalanchoe, you should contact your veterinarian immediately.
The severity of the symptoms depends on your dog’s body weight and the amount of the plant part ingested. In addition, it can take several hours for the symptoms to become apparent. Dogs, cats, and other pets should be kept away from Kalanchoe.
To know more about Kalanchoe plant toxicity, continue reading this article.
What Is the Kalanchoe Plant?
The Kalanchoe plant is a succulent, flowering perennial plant. It is native to Madagascar. The plant is widely used in traditional Chinese medicine. It is beautiful, low maintenance, and easy to care for plants.
There are different types of Kalanchoe plants. They are usually pest resistant. However, some species can become toxic to pets and livestock. If you have pets like dogs or cats in your home, it is advisable to avoid keeping this plant.
What Is Kalanchoe Poisoning?
If your dog or cat ingests the Kalanchoe plant, it can lead to Kalanchoe poisoning. This plant is toxic to dogs and can lead to various health problems like vomiting, weakness, heart arrhythmias, etc. If your pet is displaying any of these symptoms, take them to a vet immediately.
The toxins in Kalanchoe, the most common plant in the genus, are bufadienolide compounds. These substances inhibit the sodium-potassium pump. When ingested, they can cause cardiac arrest, abnormal heart rhythms, and diarrhea.
Some animals are more sensitive than others to the toxins in Kalanchoe. Dogs and cats are more likely to be affected. However, it is not yet known what the lethal dose is for these animals. This plan is considered mildly toxic for dogs.
The toxicity of Kalanchoe varies according to the plant part ingested. Most often, the ingestion of a significant amount of the plant causes severe gastrointestinal irritation. In other cases, the effects are less serious.
Dogs that develop mild gastrointestinal signs have a good prognosis. However, in animals with more severe gastrointestinal signs, cardiovascular effects are more likely to occur.
Symptoms of Kalanchoe ingestion include vomiting, abnormal heart rate, and diarrhea. If your dog has any of the symptoms of Kalanchoe poisoning, they need to be evaluated by a veterinarian.
Why Are Kalanchoe Plants Poisonous to Dogs?
The Kalanchoe genus is a group of plants that includes over 100 species. They are considered one of the most popular houseplants in many countries.
However, all of these plants contain toxins that can be harmful to animals. In fact, there have been cases of Kalanchoe poisoning in dogs and cats. If your animal has ingested the plant, contact a veterinarian immediately.
Symptoms of Kalanchoe poisoning can vary in severity. It may include vomiting, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and excessive drooling. These symptoms are caused by the plant’s cardiac glycosides and other gastrointestinal irritants.
If your pet ingests a large amount of the plant, its cardiac function will be compromised. This can cause collapse, weakness, and death. Kalanchoes are most likely to cause toxicity during the blooming phase. This is because the flowers contain a higher concentration of glycosides than other parts of the plant.
Common Signs to Watch for Kalanchoe Poisoning in Dogs
If your dog has ingested Kalanchoe, there are a few signs that you should be on the lookout for. When your pet begins to experience any of these symptoms, it’s important to contact your veterinarian immediately.
Here are the common signs of Kalanchoe poisoning in dogs.
When a dog or cat has ingested Kalanchoe or any other plant in the genus, the symptoms can vary. However, the most common symptom is vomiting. As the plant contains toxins, your dog will most likely throw up. If you notice that your dog is exhibiting signs of Kalanchoe poisoning, contact your vet immediately.
One of the most common signs of Kalanchoe Toxicity in dogs is diarrhea. This is because the plant contains cardiac glycosides. They cause irritation to the gastrointestinal tract and the nervous system. The effects are dependent on how much of the plant was ingested. Other signs include drooling, vomiting, and difficulty swallowing.
- Abnormal Heart Rhythm
Kalanchoe contains bufadienolides and cardiac glycosides. These glycosides are similar to digitalis and may cause irregular heartbeats. Symptoms may include abnormal heart rhythm. In dogs, ingestion of significant amounts of Kalanchoe can result in a heart rhythm disturbance. Although this condition is rare, it is dangerous. Affected animals are prone to collapse.
Symptoms of Kalanchoe Poisoning in Dogs
Kalanchoe is a houseplant that is very toxic to both dogs and cats. This type of plant has many nicknames, such as widow’s thorn and chandelier plant. They have glossy green leaves with scalloped edges.
Kalanchoe poisoning in dogs is a dangerous medical emergency that should be treated quickly. Symptoms can last for up to four or five days. You should take your pet to the vet as soon as you notice any of these symptoms.
Here are some common symptoms of Kalanchoe poisoning in dogs.
- Abnormal heart rate
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Decreased heart rate
- Increased heart rate
- Loss of appetite
- Unsteady gait
Treatment of Kalanchoe Poisoning in Dogs
Kalanchoe poisoning in dogs and other animals is a life-threatening emergency. When this happens, you need to contact a veterinarian as soon as possible. Some of the symptoms that your pet may experience include excessive drooling, diarrhea, vomiting, sluggishness, collapse, and a loss of appetite.
Your veterinarian will perform a physical exam and run a few tests to determine the extent of the Kalanchoe poisoning. During the examination, the vet will check your dog’s heart rate, respiration, blood pressure, and body temperature.
Activated charcoal is mostly used by vets to absorb the toxins from the dog’s body. Apart from that, gastric lavage is done to clear the remaining toxins.
Vomiting is not induced as the toxins are rapidly absorbed by the body. Additionally, supportive treatment options like IV fluids for maintaining electrolyte balance are used. Medicines like lidocaine or atropine are also used for arrhythmia in dogs.
Conclusion on Is Kalanchoe Plant Toxic to Dogs
Kalanchoe is a common house plant that is toxic to dogs and cats.
If your dog ingests small amounts of Kalanchoe, it will experience nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Symptoms will start within a few hours. However, if your pup ingests a large amount, it can lead to cardiac and neurological effects.
Affected animals should be taken to the veterinarian immediately for proper diagnosis and treatment.
Some of My Favorite Products For Dog Owners
I hope this article has helped you just a bit in everyday life as a dog owner. Being a dog owner for more than 25 years myself, I’ve tried an abundance of different products with varying success, but these products below are some that I can highly recommend to every dog and their owner without hesitation!
These links are affiliate links, so if you do end up using the links, I will earn a commission. But it’s products that I use daily myself, and I have nothing but praise for.
Dog Food: Every dog needs to eat correctly, and finding the best food for your dog can be hard, as the market is absolutely flooded with products. But since 2015 when the company was founded, I’ve been using Ollie Petfood. With their product being tailor-made to suit every dog’s specific needs, and as my dogs absolutely love the product, I’m pretty sure I’ve found a product I will continue to use for many years more. If you use my link you can get 50% off your first order.
Dog Training: If you’ve ever owned a puppy, you know that they require a lot of training to grow into a well-behaved adult. Brain Training for Dogs has helped me immensely with the mental training part of raising a dog, and it’s something I strongly recommend you consider.
Grooming: If you have a dog in your home, you’re going to need a brush, and for this, I recommend a Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush. For that price, you simply can’t beat this brush for everyday grooming.
If you’re looking for the most up-to-date recommendations, check out my recommended products section that I’ve created to help every dog owner!