At the young age of 8 weeks, puppies require plenty of nutrition to build strong bones, teeth, and muscles. You can help them stay healthy by giving them quality treats that are high in protein.
Treats are an important part of your puppy’s life as you can use them for training. They are a popular training aid, but you need to use them appropriately in combination with training commands and cues.
Puppy treats are different from that of an adult dog. They are soft, chewy, and small in size so that your puppy can easily munch on them. Make sure you buy the right type of treats for a puppy.
Apart from that, you need to give them treats in moderation. It should be 10% of their daily calorie intake. Remember that treats and snacks should not replace a healthy meal.
There are different types of treats available for 8 weeks old puppy. So, make sure you consider important factors like ingredients, treat size, nutrition, and price when buying puppy treats.
In this article, we are, among other things, going to discuss the best treats for puppies at 8 weeks old.
Can You Give Treats to Puppies at 8 Weeks Old?
Yes, you can give treats to an 8 weeks old puppy. At this age, your puppy should eat 3 to 4 main meals. In between the meals, you can give treats to them for training.
Treats are an effective way to encourage good behavior and reward your pup. Plus, they help build a strong bond between both of you. However, you need to select the right type of treatment.
When selecting treats for your puppies, opt for quality ingredients with low carb counts. Carbs are necessary for digestion, but too many can lead to an increase in weight.
Maintain a supply of healthy, tasty treats to keep your pups engaged and stimulated throughout the day. Doing so will enable them to develop in their new home while teaching them how to appreciate it more fully.
If you’re searching for a nutritious and tasty treat to reward your pup during training, apples are an ideal option. Not only are they inexpensive to purchase and easy to break into smaller pieces, but apples also help clean your pup’s teeth and freshen their breath.
What to Look For in Treats for Puppies at 8 Weeks Old?
When shopping for treats for your pup, you’ll want to select a selection that appeals to their taste buds. Additionally, opt for treats that are high in protein and low in fat; this will help your puppy maintain a healthy weight.
Here are some factors you need to consider when buying treats for your 8 weeks old puppy.
When selecting treats for training, opt for those with low-calorie counts and superior ingredients. Be sure to read the packaging carefully in order to understand what’s inside each treat and its source.
Protein is essential for dogs as it helps them build strong bones, supports nerve function, and aids in wound healing. Furthermore, protein contributes to healthy hair and skin growth as well as muscle development and tissue repair. When choosing treats for your pup, opt for those that contain a good amount of protein.
- Fatty Acids
Fatty acids are a type of polyunsaturated fat essential for your dog’s diet. They play an essential role in cell membrane structure and function, as well as the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins from your pup’s digestive tract. With proper balance in their diet, adding them to your puppy food supply can make them healthier and happier.
- Puppy-Sized Bites
You also need to consider the size of the puppy treats. As they have developing teeth and small mouths, you need to buy treats that are available in puppy-sized bites. Make sure your puppy can easily chew on the treats to avoid the risk of choking. Buy treats according to the age of your puppy.
Vitamins and minerals are vital for your pup’s healthy growth and development. They aid in energy metabolism, hormone regulation, red blood cell function, as well as immune response. When you buy puppy treats, make sure they contain essential vitamins.
DHA, an omega-3 fatty acid found in fish and algae oils, plays a vital role in brain development. DHA is also known for its anti-inflammatory effects that can help combat allergies by decreasing the body’s response to allergens. Furthermore, these benefits can improve a dog’s joint health and protect them against dry, flaky skin conditions like dermatitis. Make sure the treats contain DHA.
Best Treats For Puppies at 8 Weeks Old
Treats for puppies come in wide varieties and can be an excellent way to reward your pup for good behavior. However, it’s important that you use them sparingly so as not to overfeed your canine companion.
Here are the best treats for puppies at 8 weeks old.
Zuke’s Puppy Naturals Dog Treats
- Zuke’s Puppy Naturals With Added Vitamins And Minerals Training Treats, Lamb Recipe. Natural Soft Puppy Treats for Training
- Real lamb is the first ingredient in these tender puppy training treats. These lamb treat bites are crafted in the USA with the Earth’s best ingredients, like lamb and cherries
- This premium bag of treats with lamb is formulated with added DHA and EPA, which supports healthy brain development in the early stages of a dog’s life
- With only 2-3 calories each in these purposefully small training treat bites for dogs, Zuke’s Puppy Naturals make the perfect soft dog snacks for guilt-free treating
- Zuke’s natural dog treats for puppies with added vitamins and minerals and no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives, come in a resealable dog treat pouch for training or rewards on-the-go
During the first 8 weeks of your dog’s life, it is essential to provide him with treats that are both delicious and healthy.
Zuke’s Puppy Naturals are the ideal treat for dogs aged 8 weeks or older, as they contain all of the vitamins and nutrients your pup requires – including DHA for cognitive development as well as Omega 3 & 6 to promote a shiny coat.
These treats are free from grains and gluten, making them gentle on your pup’s digestion. Plus, there are no artificial flavors or preservatives, plus they’re low in calories,
Old Mother Hubbard Classic Crunchy Natural Treat
- LARGE CRUNCHY TREATS: These all natural large crunchy dog biscuits are made with a taste of peanut butter, apples, carrots, and molasses for a treat your dog will love
- Crunchy texture helps clean teeth as your pup chews
- Made in North America using only the finest globally sourced ingredients and no added artififcial preservatives
- Try all of our mouthwatering biscuits in a variety of flavors and sizes to build your dog's perfect snack pantry!
- Classic great taste since 1926: Each biscuit is slowly oven-baked to preserve the natural flavors in all the varieties dogs love to catch, chew and eat.
Dog treats are an integral part of training your puppy or rewarding them for good behavior. Choose a treatment brand that prioritizes health and well-being, such as Old Mother Hubbard.
These biscuits are slowly oven baked with time-honored recipes and only natural ingredients, providing your pup with a satisfying crunch.
Available in an array of flavors and sizes so you can pick the one perfect for their palate. These treats are tailored for puppies at 8 weeks of age and contain vitamins to support growth and development.
Blue Buffalo’s Mini Bars Banana Yogurt Biscuits
- MADE WITH BANANAS: BLUE Health Bars dog treats prove that a healthy treat can be tasty, too. With ingredients like oatmeal, bananas and yogurt, they feature the ingredients you’ll be proud to feed your furry family members
- CRUNCHY DOG TREATS: For dogs that prefer a crunch, these dog biscuits are oven baked for a texture they’ll love
- WHOLESOME INGREDIENTS: These dog treats don’t contain any chicken (or poultry) by-product meals and are free from corn, wheat and soy. Plus, they’re free from artificial preservatives like BHA & artificial colors
- HEALTHY DOG TREATS: Made with only the finest natural ingredients and enhanced with vitamins and minerals, Blue Buffalo natural dog treats feature the ingredients you’ll love feeding as much as they’ll love eating
- Contains one (1) 16-oz bag of BLUE Health Bars Natural Crunchy Dog Treats Biscuits, Banana & Yogurt
Blue Buffalo’s Mini Bars Banana Yogurt Biscuits are an irresistible dog treat that your pup is sure to adore. These crispy oven-baked treats are packed with bananas, yogurt, carrots, oatmeal, and barley for a nutritious treat that will keep them feeling full for hours.
These treats are made with only a few ingredients to guarantee they’re safe for your dog and contain no chemicals. Plus, they’re low in calories, so you can reward your pup several times a day without worrying about them getting overweight.
Nulo Puppy & Adult Freestyle Trainers Dog Treats
- TURKEY RECIPE - Support your dog's healthy weight with a low-calorie reward. Featuring the real meat and grain-free taste your dog will love. 4 Oz bag.
- LOW-CALORIE REWARDS - Unlike other training treats that can contribute to your dog packing on some pounds and slowing him or her down, our low-calorie treats can actually help with weight control. With only 2 kcals per treat, small and large dogs will stay lean and healthy.
- SUPERFOOD BOOST - Dogs benefit from healthy superfoods just like their humans do! We added honey, cherries and blueberries to supply your pet with more nutrients.
- NATURALLY DELICIOUS - Treat your pup to Nulo Trainers! Made without grains, soy, corn, wheat or gluten-containing ingredients, these training treats are great for dogs of all ages and breeds.
- MANUFACTURED IN THE USA - Based in Austin, TX, Nulo Pet foods contains no corn, wheat gluten, soy, artificial preservatives, colors, or flavoring.
Nulo’s selection of irresistible treats puts your pet’s well-being first, using only wholesome animal-based protein and natural ingredients to support their digestive, skin, coat, and immune systems.
These grain-free, low-calorie treats are made in the USA without artificial colors or preservatives. They make a healthy alternative for dogs who are gluten sensitive or allergic to grains.
Blue Buffalo Dental Bones Natural Dog Chews
- DENTAL CHEW DOG TREATS: BLUE Dental Bones are the dental dog treats that help clean teeth, freshen breath and maintain healthy teeth and gums. Plus they’re highly digestible with a flavor dogs go wild for
- WHOLESOME INGREDIENTS: These dog treats don’t contain any chicken (or poultry) by-product meals and are free from corn, wheat and soy. Plus, they’re free from artificial preservatives and colors like red dye 40
- REGULAR SIZE: Feed these dental bone dog treats once a day to dogs who are 25 to 50 lbs
- HEALTHY DOG TREATS: Blue Buffalo natural dog treats enhanced with added minerals feature the healthy, wholesome ingredients you’ll love feeding as much as they’ll love eating
- Contains one (1) 36-oz Super Value Pack bag of BLUE Dental Bones Natural Adult Dental Chew Dog Treat Regular
Blue Buffalo Dental Bones make an ideal natural puppy chew for eight-week-old puppies as they’re tasty and highly digestible. Plus, these natural dog treats help clean teeth, freshen breath, and maintain healthy teeth and gums.
These dog treats contain no added sugars and are made in the US. Plus, these dog treats include Omega 3 to support your pup’s brain and eye development.
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Dog Treats
- HEALTHY HIPS AND JOINTS Made with a limited list of high-quality ingredients, Jumpin' Stix are formulated with Glucosamine and Chondroitin to help support healthy hips & joints in your adult dog; Contains (1) 4-Ounce Pouch
- LIMITED INGREDIENT PHILOSOPHY Formulated with a simplified list of premium ingredients; a single animal protein source, and no grain, soy, gluten, artificial colors or flavors; We use fewer ingredients so pets, and pet parents, can live healthy lives
- OUR VENISON RECIPE provides essential proteins and amino acids for strong muscles, with sweet potatoes as a grain-free source of fiber for digestive health; Complete and balanced with essential nutrients to help maintain your dog's healthy immune system
- NUTRITION FOR EVERY TYPE OF DOG Any dog can enjoy our delicious recipes, not just dogs with sensitive stomachs, irritable skin or allergies; Our purposefully crafted formulas reduce the number of ingredients without sacrificing taste or nutrition
- SAFETY & TRANSPARENCY Natural Balance's 'Feed with Confidence' program tests every batch of food from start to finish, ensuring safety with every bite; Validate bag on our site or call our Customer Care Team of Registered Veterinary Technicians
Natural Balance Limited Ingredient is a company that creates food specifically tailored for dogs with allergies and sensitivities.
Their treats have limited protein and carbohydrate sources, as well as being designed to promote digestive health. These treats are great for training your dog or rewarding them when they need a reward to motivate them.
They come in convenient resealable canisters or pouches and come in various flavors and textures.
Purina Puppy Chow Healthy Start Training Treats
- One (1) 24 oz. Pouch - Purina Puppy Chow Training Treats, Healthy Start Salmon Treats
- Training treats made with real salmon. Made with protein to support your puppy's growing muscles
- Contains DHA. Contains only 3 calories per piece
- Treats are easy to break into smaller pieces. Soft, meaty pieces are easy to chew
- Designed for puppies but suited for all life stages. Made without artificial flavors or colors
Purina Puppy Chow Healthy Start Training Treats are the ideal choice for training purposes, boasting an irresistible salmon flavor and only three calories per piece. Plus, their small bag size makes them ideal for long training sessions or when you need to keep your pup satisfied without spoiling their dinner.
These treats also contain DHA for healthy skin and fur, so your pup can enjoy a gorgeous coat.
- Beef Balls
If you’re searching for a nutritious, high-protein treat your pup will enjoy, beef balls are an ideal choice. These tasty treats are suitable for dogs of all breeds and sizes – including purebred and mixed-breed puppies!
Make these delicious meatballs at home with just a few ingredients and only minutes of your time. You could also add some shredded carrots for extra nutrition; they provide essential vitamins and minerals for growing pups.
N-bone Puppy Teething Treats
- Highly Palatable And Ideal For Puppies Of All Sizes
- All Natural And No Artificial Colors Or Preservatives
- Pliable Texture Is Safe For Puppy'S New Teeth And Helps Soothe Teething Pain And Sore Gums
- Great Taste, Completely Edible And Digestible
Chew treats are essential for a dog’s teeth and gums. N-bone Puppy Teething Treats, which are naturally made with vegetable protein, provide the ideal solution.
Through their proprietary process of manufacturing their chews, N-bone has created an all-natural treat that’s both delicious and nutritious.
Peanut butter is a go-to treat for puppies. You can spread it inside hollow bones or toys for an extended reward or let your pup lick it from a spoon or finger as an immediate reward. Peanut butter provides dogs with numerous benefits, including protein and healthy fats.
Additionally, it’s an excellent source of Vitamin E, which helps regulate your pup’s metabolism while keeping their eyes, skin, and muscles in good condition.
The Benefits of Giving Treats to Your Puppy
Treats are an excellent way to motivate your puppy for good behavior or help them learn new tricks. Additionally, treats keep puppies occupied during training sessions which is beneficial both for you and your pup.
Here are some benefits of puppy training treats.
- Rewarding Good Behavior
Treats are an excellent way to reward your pup for good behavior. Plus, they’re convenient because you can take them with you wherever life takes you – in a pocket or training treat bag. When selecting puppy training treats, size and ingredients should be taken into consideration.
- Keeping Pups Busy
Puppies adore treats, and you can use them to keep your puppy engaged during training sessions. Treats can range from fruit to chicken or cereal – whatever works for your pup. Some dog owners have discovered that stuffing a few toys with food or treats can keep their pets occupied for hours.
- Helping Pups Learn New Things
Puppies can easily become distracted and excited, so having a physical reward to accompany verbal praise helps keep them focused during training. Treats are usually the go-to form of reward in puppy training. It encourages your puppy to learn new things.
The ideal puppy treats at 8 weeks old are those that are nutritious, low in calories, and small in size. Not only do these make great training rewards, but they’re also ideal for puppies to savor.
Puppies in their early stages require a balanced diet of protein, fatty acids, and vitamins to support their growth and development. Treats can provide your eight-week-old pup with this necessary nutrition. They are also an excellent way to reward good behavior and promote healthy development in your pup.
However, they should only make up a small part of their daily calorie intake. Treats should not account for more than 10% of your dog’s caloric intake.
Some of My Favorite Products For Dog Owners
I hope this article has helped you just a bit in everyday life as a dog owner. Being a dog owner for more than 25 years, I’ve tried many different products with varying success, but these products below are some that I can highly recommend to every dog and their owner without hesitation!
These links are affiliate links, so if you do end up using the links, I will earn a commission. But it’s products that I use daily myself, and I have the utmost praise for.
Dog Food: Every dog needs to eat correctly, and finding the best food for your dog can be challenging, as the market is absolutely flooded with products. But since 2015 when the company was founded, I’ve been using Ollie Petfood. With their product being tailor-made to suit every dog’s specific needs, and as my dogs love the product, I’m pretty sure I’ve found a product I will continue to use for many years more. If you use my link you can get 50% off your first order.
Dog Training: If you’ve ever owned a puppy, you know that it requires a lot of training to grow into a well-behaved adult. Brain Training for Dogs has helped me immensely with the mental training part of raising a dog, and it’s something I strongly recommend you consider.
Grooming: If you have a dog in your home, you’re going to need a brush, and for this, I recommend a Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush. For that price, you simply can’t beat this brush for everyday grooming.
If you’re looking for the most up-to-date recommendations, check out my recommended products section that I’ve created to help every dog owner!