If you plan on running agility with your dog and looking for the perfect shoes, we can help. In this guide, we will discuss the best dog agility shoes currently on sale.
Dog agility training is a mental and physical challenge. You must work together with your dog to complete an obstacle course within a given time.
Agility is an excellent sport for dogs with high energy levels. During competitions, teams of dogs compete against the clock to complete a course. This kind of activity requires intensive training, as handlers are restricted to guiding the dog by body signals and voice.
Dog agility training involves running your dog through hurdles such as weave poles, jumps, and other obstacles. Being a trainer, you have to run along with your dog as a bonded pair. This type of fast-paced event is held in a variety of places like dirt, wet grass, indoor turf, mud, etc.
In order to run agility, you need good footing, or else it can result in serious injuries. So to maintain proper traction and perform with your dog, you need to invest in the best shoes for agility training.
You may have to choose footwear that is designed for different types of terrain, including grass, dirt, and even indoor turf. You might also need cleats for traction or webbed shoes for quick movements. A good pair of dog agility training shoes will give you an edge over other competitors.
While buying agility shoes may seem like a daunting task, there are a few key considerations you must make. While some agility venues use artificial turf, you should consider what type of terrain you will be running on. Outdoor agility shoes may not be suitable for these surfaces, and vice versa. Indoor agility shoes, on the other hand, have smaller rubber surfaces and are therefore more comfortable.
The Best Shoes for Dog Agility Training
If you are interested in bringing your dog to agility training, you’ll need different types of shoes for different surfaces. In the US, you can find agility training facilities on grass, dirt, and rubber matting, so it’s important to choose a shoe that offers proper footing for the sport.
To help you make the right buying decision, we have rounded up the three best shoes for dog agility training. We have tried and tested these shoes for comfort, grip, durability, and traction. You can choose any of these shoes for agility training.
Best Men’s Shoes: Vibram Men’s KSO EVO Cross Training Shoes
- Manmade and mesh upper for a glove-like fit
- Bungee lace closure for a secure fit
- Individual toe slots help deliver a natural running motion
- Drilex lining wicks away moisture
- Vibram rubber outsole for excellent traction
If you’re looking for an agility training shoe, consider purchasing the Vibram Men’s KSO EVO Cross Training Shoes. The brand is well known for its minimalistic style and excellent activity performance. It’s great for functional fitness, plyometrics, balance, and wet terrain, and it’s also reasonably priced.
A big plus for this barefoot running shoe is its comfort. Vibram has worked to produce minimal materials to make the shoe as comfortable as possible. The Vibram KSO EVO’s zero-millimeter heel-to-toe drop is comparable to the highest-rated barefoot shoes on the market.
The KSO EVO’s upper is made from a combination of polyester and spandex. This fabric wicks away moisture and allows air to flow around the foot. It also protects the feet from sharp objects. The KSO EVO is also one of the most responsive barefoot shoes available. This responsiveness will delight experienced barefoot runners.
- Lightweight and Flexible: This shoe is made as lightweight as possible to offer maximum comfort. The shoe is designed with five-finger space to offer better flexibility. It allows your foot to move naturally and helps you to boost your performance.
- Stability and Comfort: It comes with 2mm EVA midsoles to offer comfort while running. It is covered with nylon material that offers anti-microbial and anti-moisture capabilities. The cushioning underfoot helps you to run easily, and the individual toe slots enhance stability.
- Speed Lacing System: These shoes have a speed lacing system and reinforced upper that provides a snug fit. Apart from that, the zig-zag sole offers additional grip and flexibility. You can easily lace the shoe and start running in no time.
- XS Trek Sole: The best feature of this shoe is the XS Trek rubber outsole. This shoe has a 4.7mm sole thickness that provides good traction. You can easily wear it on different surfaces as the rubber sole provides excellent grip and traction.
- Lightweight and breathable
- Highly flexible
- Quick lacing system
- Anti-microbial and anti-moisture capabilities
- Solid traction and stability
- Available in different sizes and colors
- Machine washable
- The fabric wears off quickly
- The toes are too tight
Vibram Men’s KSO EVO Cross Training Shoes are the best shoes for agility training. It is a lightweight and comfortable shoe with an impressive ground feel and protection. The grip and flexibility of these shoes are impressive, and the outsoles offer excellent traction. All the features make it perfect for dog agility training.
Best Women’s Shoes: Inov-8 Women’s Roclite 290 Trail Runner
- For running on multiple terrains.
- Superior trail traction II: Using three sticky rubber compounds on the outsole increases grip and durability. The hardest, most durable rubber is on the heel, with a medium rubber up the center for increased traction.
- Run fast with confidence: Weighing just 290g and with a 4mm drop, this is a flexible and responsive shoe that allows quick running while still delivering protection, support and comfort.
- Cushioned ride: POWERFLOW midsole delivers 10% better shock absorption and 15% better energy return than standard midsoles.
- Get the perfect fit: Built around the natural anatomy of the foot, the new ADAPTERWEB met-cradle adapts to the natural movement and swelling of the foot in motion, while the Y-LOCK system holds the heel in place and offers support.
When you’re looking for a lightweight, flexible agility training shoe, the Inov-8 Women’s Roclite 290 has many positive features that can make a big difference. The Roclite 290 has eleven millimeters of cushioning in the heel and six millimeters of lugs on the outsole. This trail shoe’s overall stack height is 23mm. Although it’s not ultra-cushioned, it’s very responsive and does not sag easily. It is one of the best dog agility shoes for women.
This shoe is very comfortable right out of the box. It doesn’t have a break-in period, and it won’t stretch out after several days of use. In addition, it does not have seams or anything else that could rub on foot or create friction. That makes it a very versatile trail shoe.
This trail running shoe is great for wet rock surfaces, thanks to its 6mm rubber tread. Its tread pattern is firm, making it excellent on wet rock plates and other uneven surfaces. The power flow outsole and reinforced rubber toe cap provide excellent traction. It is affordable and available in various colors as well.
- Excellent Grip: This is a multi-terrain running shoe with a next-generation roclite outsole. It features claw-shaped cleats and a tri-c rubber compound which provides the best grip. It also helps in the quick release of debris.
- Support and Comfort: It weighs only 290g and comes with a 4mm drop which makes it extremely flexible and responsive. It will help you in quick running by offering maximum support and comfort.
- Cushioned Ride: This shoe comes with a two-piece power flow which provides cushion and delivers 10% better shock absorption. The midsoles offer also offer a 15% better energy return.
- Impressive Design: The new adapter web met-cradle provides natural movement while walking or running. Apart from that, the y-lock system holds the heel in place. This shoe is designed in such a way that it offers excellent support.
- Solid gripping power
- Good for fast-paced trail runs
- Very nimble through all sorts of terrain
- Snug and secure fit
- Strategic lugs placement
- Some areas lack protection
- Too Narrow
If you are looking for lightweight, comfortable and durable shoes for agility training, The Inov-8 Women’s Roclite 290 Trail Runner is the best option. It is one of the best shoes for dog agility training for women. This shoe is known for offering excellent grip and is meant for multi-terrain running, which makes it ideal for training.
Best Unisex Cleats: Under Armour Unisex-Adult Glyde RM Softball Shoe
- Engineered synthetic upper with a coated textile forefoot for lightweight, sneaker-like comfort & durability
- Die-cut EVA sockliner provides excellent comfort & durability
- Full-length ArmourBound midsole provides ultimate cushion, shock absorption & cleat dispersion
- Rubber molded cleats offer elite comfort & traction
- Weight: 10 oz.
If you’re interested in purchasing cleats for agility training, the Under Armour Unisex-Adult Glyde RM softball shoe is the best option. This shoe features a full-length EVA midsole for ultimate cushioning and shock absorption. In addition, the shoe’s rubber molded cleats provide reliable traction.
It features a die-cut EVA footbed that enhances comfort and durability, and the Glyde toe piece is resistant to abrasion. The upper is light, comfortable, and durable. The Glyde cleats help with quick movements, but they don’t sacrifice support.
These shoes are lightweight and durable, so they’re suitable for most types of softball and baseball players. Moreover, the 3/4-length ArmourBound midsole provides extra comfort and cushioning.
- Comfort and Durability: This shoe is made of synthetic leather and rubber material for added durability. It is coated with the textile forefoot, which makes it extremely lightweight and comfortable. This shoe offers sneaker-like comfort and durability.
- Rubber Molded Cleats: It comes with rubber molded cleats which are placed under the heel & forefoot. This feature helps the shoe to provide aggressive traction.
- ArmourBound Midsole: This shoe comes with a full-length ArmourBound midsole. It offers shock absorption, cleat dispersion, and ultimate cushion.
- Unisex Design: It is designed for men as well as women. As it is a unisex training shoe, anyone can use it. The die-cut EVA sock liner offers excellent support and makes it perfect for all types of activities.
- Durable synthetic upper
- Sneaker-like comfort
- Rubber molded cleats
- The full-length EVA midsole provides great cushioning
- Offers aggressive traction
- It runs small
Under Armour Unisex-Adult Glyde RM is the perfect shoe for agility training if you are looking for cleats. This unisex shoe is lightweight, durable, and offers great comfort and cushioning. It is one of the best shoes for agility training with a unisex design.
How to Select the Best Dog Agility Shoes?
Before buying agility training shoes, there are some important things to consider. It will help you to choose the best shoes as per the type of event and exercise.
Agility training exercises can take a serious toll on your shoes. Not only do they need to be comfortable but also durable to provide adequate cushioning and shock absorption. Some shoes are made with EVA or polyurethane, which are lightweight and offer good cushioning but have limited durability. So make sure you choose durable shoes that will last for a long time. It is best to go with waterproof shoes so that you can easily clean them.
Choosing a good pair of agility training shoes means considering the material they are made from. Many training shoes feature high-density EVA foam midsoles, which are great for limiting compression and providing reactivity and responsiveness. However, depending on your training goals, the quality of your midsole may make or break your cross-training shoe purchase. For maximal stability, opt for a midsole that limits compression and provides maximum support.
- Heel Height and Elevation
You may be surprised at how important heel height and elevation are when choosing an agility training shoe. If you’re doing heavy running or heavy workouts, your elevated heel will make the difference between success and failure. It will help keep your knees over your toes when performing movements like air squats. Additionally, an elevated heel can prevent knees from caving. The elevation of your heel should be at least 0.3 inches.
The agility training shoe is designed to accommodate the demands of different types of training. These shoes have different construction characteristics, but the basic design is almost the same. Some of the best shoes offer support and traction and can be worn by anyone regardless of age, gender, or fitness level. Make sure you choose shoes that are designed for different exercises.
- Shoe Construction
A good pair of training shoes should offer stable outsoles, excellent traction, and toe protection. The shoe should also be well-molded, which separates the outer construction from the midsole. The midsole provides stability, responsiveness, and overall feel. If you don’t plan on running long distances, a high-cushion shoe may be the best option. A gum rubber outsole will improve traction and durability, making it ideal for use both indoors and outdoors.
There are several factors to consider when buying dog agility shoes. In most cases, you need a special type of shoes to keep up with your dog. However, make sure the shoes are comfortable to wear. There should be adequate cushioning in shoes along with breathability to offer the best comfort and support.
Another thing you need to consider is the grip of the shoes. Runners with too much tread tend to trip or slide when running. Shoes with minimal tread are more likely to not track in rocks and are safer to use. Make sure you choose a shoe that offers the best grip.
When buying dog agility training shoes, traction is an important factor to consider. Traction helps you to move faster and is important when you’re running or training in the mud. So you need to choose a shoe that offers maximum traction on the ground.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What shoes should I wear for agility training?
When it comes to agility training, there are many factors to consider, including the shoes you choose. A pair of shoes designed for agility is important in maximizing the workout while minimizing the risk of injury. You need to choose shoes depending on the activities and type of ground. For example, if you want traction on the ground, go for cleats.
On the other hand, running shoes are perfect for training. You can also choose webbed shoes for quick movements. So you need to choose the shoes depending on the activities and requirements. It is best to go with cross-training shoes as they are suitable for various activities.
- What age should dogs start agility?
Most agility organizations recommend starting training your dog at least 15 months of age. The key is to provide ample time for your puppy to develop their strength and flexibility.
If you want to begin agility training sooner, wait until your puppy has closed its growth plates, which will be sometime between 12 and 18 months, depending on the breed. However, you can start pre-agility training at four months of age. If you’re unsure of the appropriate age for your puppy, talk to a breed expert or veterinarian.
- Is agility hard on dogs?
The agility sport is not as hard on dogs as you may think. However, you need to train your dog patiently and reward them constantly. With proper aid and guidance, dogs can easily be trained for agility as they are naturally smart.
Healthy dogs can participate in agility with little risk. However, growing dogs should take it easy as they are still developing joint and muscle strength. Also, older dogs should not try agility as they may suffer from a health condition. If you are unsure whether agility is the right sport for your dog, talk to a veterinarian.
- How can I speed up my dog agility?
If you are a newbie to agility, you can follow certain tips to speed up the training process. One of the first ways is to praise your dog when they accomplish something.
To speed up your dog’s performance, you can introduce additional obstacles into the routine. You also need to keep the training sessions short. Boost your dog’s confidence and encourage them with positive reinforcement. Agility training should be a fun experience. Start small and gradually increase your expectations.
Dog agility training is a fun, fast, and challenging sport for you and your dog. You’ll have a blast competing, and your dog will appreciate it immensely. However, you need to invest in proper agility training shoes to keep up with your dog and prevent any injuries.
In this guide, we have taken core factors into consideration like comfort, durability, grip, support, and traction to select the best dog agility shoes.
We plan to update this page regularly as better products come into the market.
Some of My Favorite Products For Dog Owners
I hope this article has helped you just a bit in everyday life as a dog owner. Being a dog owner for more than 25 years, I’ve tried many different products with varying success, but these products below are some that I can highly recommend to every dog and their owner without hesitation!
These links are affiliate links, so if you do end up using the links, I will earn a commission. But it’s products that I use daily myself, and I have the utmost praise for.
Dog Food: Every dog needs to eat correctly, and finding the best food for your dog can be challenging, as the market is absolutely flooded with products. But since 2015 when the company was founded, I’ve been using Ollie Petfood. With their product being tailor-made to suit every dog’s specific needs, and as my dogs love the product, I’m pretty sure I’ve found a product I will continue to use for many years more. If you use my link you can get 50% off your first order.
Dog Training: If you’ve ever owned a puppy, you know that it requires a lot of training to grow into a well-behaved adult. Brain Training for Dogs has helped me immensely with the mental training part of raising a dog, and it’s something I strongly recommend you consider.
Grooming: If you have a dog in your home, you’re going to need a brush, and for this, I recommend a Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush. For that price, you simply can’t beat this brush for everyday grooming.
If you’re looking for the most up-to-date recommendations, check out my recommended products section that I’ve created to help every dog owner!