Technology is taking us from those moments where everything had to be done manually – thanks for the trips we could make to open the door for our pets – at least, it kept us fit by exercising the body. For sure, I never enjoyed those days myself – my pet would wake me up with the frequent pawing at the door. And I was always repainting the door. But nowadays, we are craving a sedentary lifestyle where we want to use our remote controls, smartphone apps, and other technologies to take over the manual actions we used to do.
When it comes to smart dog doors, they come with many features that make them convenient for you and your pooch. You don’t have to make the trips; you use the app on your phone to operate the door. So you won’t get out of your bed before you are good and ready. The apps have many tools; for example, they can monitor the number of times the doggie goes out within the day. This can help monitor the behavior of the pet, something that aids in detecting when the pet is sick and needs to be taken to a vet for a checkup.
The best app-controlled dog door units bring a new dog care experience. They give freedom to the pets while allowing the pet owners to have peace of mind. Also, pet owners can control when a dog should be out and when it needs to remain inside the house. A Curfew Mode in some of the smart dog doors enables you to limit your pet from leaving the house, when necessary.
Having said that, let’s look at some of the electronic smart dog doors that are app-controlled.
Best App Controlled Dog Door
If you are planning to install a new dog door in your house, we can help you. As of now, there is only one smart dog door available in the market, which you can control via an app. Other doors come with an RFID feature and work on the basis of the microchip in your dog’s collar.
Here are the 4 best app controlled dog doors and RFID dog doors you can use to offer easy access to your dog to relieve themselves. We have tried and tested all these doors.
Best Overall: SureFlap Microchip Pet Door
The SureFlap Microchip Pet Door is the best overall smart app-controlled dog door in the market. It is one of the few pet doors that work with a smartphone. It is a smart device that allows you to control your pet’s access to your home. This device works with a smartphone app, which means you can control your door remotely. Using the app to monitor the microchip will help you avoid any potential accidents. This is an ideal product for homeowners who have multiple pets.
This microchip-equipped pet door is designed for small dogs and cats. Unlike traditional doors, it recognizes microchips to allow your pet to enter the door only if it wears a help tag attached to its collar. This allows you to easily identify your pet and keep it safe in your home. The white color of the dog door matches with most doors and is easy to set up. It is made of durable plastic and can be set up without a hub.
- Smart App-Controlled: The SureFlap Microchip Pet Door Connect is a great way to give your pets a little more independence by giving them remote control from your phone. You can control the door with the Sure Petcare app on your smartphone, and it will notify you when your pet leaves home.
- Remote Control: This smart dog door can be used to control access to your home by your pet, and it can be easily integrated into your home. It can also be operated by your smartphone’s app. This smart door will give you remote control access. You can use the app to remotely control the door. You can easily lock/ unlock the door along with setting a curfew.
- Easy Setup: This smart door doesn’t need a hub to connect. You can either use it with SureFlap Hub or connect it to the Wi-Fi in your home. On top of that, it comes with an RFID feature as well. You can easily set up this device in your home.
- Notifications: Another feature of this app-controlled dog door is that it helps you to track all the activities of your pet. When your pet enters or leaves the house, you will get a notification on the app. It will help to monitor all activities in real-time.
- Size and Dimension: The SureFlap door is made of plastic and is surrounded by a thicker piece of white plastic. The dimension of this panel is 7.87 inches. The size of the door is 6 11/16″ W x 7″ H. This door is only suitable for small dogs and cats.
- Smart app-controlled dog door
- Works with RFID microchip
- Works without a hub
- Helps to control the door remotely
- Monitor and track your pet’s activity
- Notification feature
- Made from sturdy and durable plastic
- Easy to install and use
- Only suitable for small dogs and cats
- Batteries are not included
SureFlap Microchip Pet Door is one of the best smart app-controlled dog doors designed for small dogs and cats. You can easily connect the door with your smartphone via Wi-Fi, and it helps you to remotely control the door.
It is safe and secure and comes with an RFID microchip feature as well. It will work with a microchip as well as help you to receive a notification when your pet leaves or enters the house. It is overall the best smart dog door in the market.
Premium Pick: High Tech Pet Power Electronic Pet Door
High Tech Pet Dog Door is another product you can use to provide safe and easy access to your dog. It is not an app-controlled dog door but rather works with the help of a small ultrasonic collar that is attached to the dog’s neck. The power that this collar provides gives a signal to the door panel and opens the door for them.
For the most convenience, this dog door requires a full-time AC connection and battery backup. It is strong, sturdy, and easy to use. Even though you cannot control it via a smart app, it will save you the hassle of opening the door for your pet. It is a reliable and versatile electronic pet door. With its numerous features, this product is sure to make a welcome addition to any pet household.
This dog door is more expensive than other products but offers various features. It is a premium dog door that is suitable for large dogs. It will be the perfect choice for owners who love their pets but need a convenient and durable solution for them. This dog door has a bulletproof design and offers a safe and durable solution.
- Ultrasonic Collar: The Power Pet is a reliable electronic door for pets that work on the motor. It is a vertically-sliding door that moves upwards when the door is wearing an ultrasonic collar approaches. This pet door uses the directional signal on the dog’s collar to open and close the door when the animal is approaching the door. The Ultrasonic technology is especially long-range, giving it a great range for controlling distance.
- Directional Sensing System: This electronic door can be installed in any room of your home. It uses a directional signal that is sent from the pet’s collar to open and close the door. When your dog approaches the door, it will automatically open. The sensor is also wind-proof and will not damage any walls.
- 4-Way Access Control: With this dog door, you will get 4-way access. You can select from 4 options, i.e., Full Access, In Only, Out Only, and Closed & Locked.
- Wind and Weather Proof: This dog door is wind and weatherproof. It comes with an airtight seal as well as an automatic deadbolt locking mechanism. It will be extremely safe to use.
- Panel Size: The size of this dog door is 12-1/4 by 16-inch. It is suitable for large dogs up to 100 pounds of weight. It is perfect for all types and sizes of dogs.
- Vertically-sliding electronic dog door
- Activated by the ultrasonic collar
- Comes with the directional sensing system
- 4-way access control options
- Perfect for large size dogs
- Wind and weatherproof
- Extremely strong and sturdy
- More expensive than other dog doors
High Tech Pet Power Pet Dog Door is a premium option for pet owners. This electronic dog door is a motor driver and opens vertically when the dog is wearing an ultrasonic collar approaches. It is a strong and durable door with 4-way access control. The directional sensing system offers great security. This door is perfect for large size dogs.
Best Budget: PetSafe Electronic SmartDoor
PetSafe Electronic collar activated dog door is one of the best ways to keep your pets safe and in your house. It detects radio frequency signals from your dog’s collar and unlocks the door when the signal is detected. In other words, the door gives your pet a key to the house. It is battery-powered.
Whether you have a small or large dog, the large-sized door will fit them. Its size makes it perfect for large breeds like Rottweilers, German Shepherds, and other large dogs. Its construction is sturdy enough to withstand repeated use. This door is fully automated and comes with product support.
- Customize Access: The PetSafe Electronic SmartDoor uses radiofrequency to lock and unlock the door when a pet approaches the door. The pet door then locks securely when the pet passes through, which minimizes the risk of unwanted felines getting inside. The programmable feature helps you to customize the access and offer selective entry and exit.
- SmartKey: The PetSafe Electronic SmartDoor is a collar-activated dog and cat door that is waterproof. It comes with SmartKey, which you can install in your dog’s collar. It will give access to your dog to move inside and outside the house. The SmartKey opens the door for the pet.
- Multiple Pets: The pet door can accommodate up to five pets, which is a great option for homes with multiple pets. You will get 5 SmartKeys with this product which you can use for five pets.
- Battery-Operated: The door uses radio frequency identification to lock and unlock the door. The PetSafe SmartDoor is battery-operated, and the red LED light on the device indicates that the batteries are low. You need 4 D-Cell batteries to use this product.
- Easy Installation: The PetSafe Electronic SmartDoor is easy to install. It can be adjusted up to two feet. It can be placed within 2 feet of the main entrance. The flap needs to be pushed open when the collar is activated. You can follow the instructions and easily install it on your door.
- Programmable selective entry to pets
- Comes with five waterproof SmartKey
- Perfect for multiple pets
- Collar activated smart dog door
- Works on battery
- Auto-locking option
- Doesn’t offer a smart app feature
If you are looking for an affordable dog door, PetSafe Electronic SmartDoor is the best option. It is a collar-activated door that comes with programmable features and works with SmartKeys. It is perfect for all sizes of dogs and comes with 5 waterproof SmartKeys. You can use this battery-operated door for multiple pets.
PlexiDor Performance PDE Electronic Pet Door
PlexiDor Performance PDE electronic pet door offers convenience and security, with a composite panel that slides up like a mini electronic garage door. It acts as a security door using RFID technology to detect a pre-programmed code. This waterproof system snaps onto your pet’s collar to keep other animals out. It is easy to install and requires just a few simple steps.
A PlexiDor Performance PDE electronic pet door is an excellent choice if you have a larger dog or a pet that tends to get out of the house. Aside from preventing your pets from escaping, they will also help you prevent unwanted guests from entering or leaving the house. This system will not interfere with your home security system or underground fence, and your children won’t have to worry about accidentally activating it when you’re not at home.
- Electronic Door: It is an electronic dog door and works on a power supply. The panel will move up and down vertically to offer access to your pet. The dog needs to wear a waterproof collar that comes with the product. The RFID chip will read the collar and offer access to your dog.
- PDE Collar Keys: One of the best features of this dog door is that it comes with a waterproof collar. You will get 2 PDE waterproof collars with this product which you can use for 2 dogs. The collar keys can be easily programmed.
- Programmable Timer: One of the great features of this product is its ability to adjust the time it stays open with the programmable timer option. Your pet will feel comfortable and secure when using it, and you can easily program the time it remains open for. This system also has a sensor key that makes it easy to open or close the door for a specified period.
- Child and Dog Safe: The performance of the PlexiDor PDE Electronic Pet Door is impressive. It fits all sizes of dogs and cats and uses RFID technology to ensure safe access for your pet. It’s also child-safe and doesn’t interfere with home security systems. It’s a great option for preventing unwanted visitors from entering your home.
- Durable: As a result of the incredibly durable construction of the PlexiDor Performance PDE Electronic pet door, it is safe for your pets and you. It is made of aluminum frames and comes with 5 years limited warranty.
- Wall-mounted electronic dog door
- Perfect for a large breed of dogs
- One-touch programming
- Comes with 2 PDE collars
- Child and dog safe
- Durable and scratch-resistant
- Needs constant power supply to work
PlexiDor Performance PDE Electronic Pet Door is another great product you can use for your dog. This strong and durable dog door works on electricity and moves vertically when the waterproof collar key is near. It is perfect for large dog breeds and offers a safe and secure solution. You will get 2 waterproof collar keys with this product. It is perfect for a house with 2 pets.
How to Choose the Best App-Controlled Dog Door?
If you are looking for a dog door that will allow your pet in and out without you having to constantly check on him or her, there are many devices available. Here are some factors you need to consider to select the best door.
- Panel Size
One of the first things to consider when buying an app-controlled device for your dog is the size. There are different sizes for different breeds of dogs, and you should know which one fits your pet’s needs. Most doors come with a guideline on how large the dog should be before purchasing.
Another thing to consider when buying an app-controlled dog door is the security features. Several companies produce these gates, and some are more secure than others. While you might not have to worry about your dog getting into trouble, it’s good to keep your property safe.
- Panel Directional Movement
If you are considering purchasing a new app-controlled dog door, you need to pay close attention to the directional movement of the panel. The ability to rotate the door panels is one of the main features of these devices. If the door can only move one way, you need to choose a model with the opposite polarity.
- Directional Sensing System
While it’s not necessary to buy a completely new door when you’re buying an app-controlled dog door, a directional sensing system will make your life much easier. The Directional sensing system requires your dog to approach the door like they’re going outside. This can be an ideal solution for those who want to ensure that their pets can go outside when they need to.
- Ease of Installation
When buying an app-controlled dog door, it is important to consider its ease of installation. Some models are more complicated than others, so be sure to consider that before you buy one. Select a door that is simple and easy to install.
- Construction Material
Before purchasing an electronic dog door, you should consider its construction material. The best choice would be one made of stainless steel, which is durable, but it costs more than plastic ones.
- Microchips/ SmartKeys
When buying an app-controlled dog door, you may want to consider a model with microchips/smart keys. Some brands use the chip in your pet’s collar to detect proximity. The microchip provides information on your dog’s location and can be read by the dog door’s sensors.
- Programmable Timer
A good app-controlled dog door should have a programmable timer. This feature allows you to program your pet’s access schedule so that the door only opens when the pet is inside. This feature can save you a lot of time, especially if you’re unable to supervise your pet all the time.
- Style and Design
The style and design of an app-controlled dog door are crucial. If you don’t like the traditional wooden style, you might want to consider a different option. You might also want to consider the size and type of your pet.
- Multiple Pets
There are several features to consider when purchasing an app-controlled dog door. Many of these devices are able to accommodate multiple pets. Some can accommodate large dogs, and others can accommodate small pets. Select a device that works with multiple pets.
How SmartDoor Electronic Dog Doors Work
Before you can select a smart pet door, you want to know the mechanism of operation or the system it utilizes. There are different technologies that run these smart doors and understanding each of them allows you to make an informed decision. Dog doors work similarly to automatic garage doors. A smart dog door is made up of three basic components – a sensor on the pet, a sensor on the fixture, and the opening and closing mechanism or system of the door.
The access ways operate by communicating between the sensor on the dog’s collar and the sensor on the fixture. After receiving a signal from the unit’s transmitter set or key fitted on the pooch’s collar, the sensor on the door triggers a mechanism on the system’s fixture to open or release the access way. This allows your pooch to exit or enter through the passageway.
Types of Sensors
This does away with the use of collar tags. The microchip is implanted inside the hound’s body by a vet and serves as a communication device.
The door mechanism senses the magnetic fields the magnetic collar key creates. With magnetic sensors, they are so generous and won’t distinguish your neighbor’s pet. The system will let your neighbor’s pets in as long as they happen to have magnetic collar tags.
Among the newest technologies, it uses key tags that utilize radio frequency identification. The tags have information that’s electronically stored. In the event that the electronic information resonates or matches the one that’s programmed within the door’s RFID readers, access is activated.
The keys utilize high-frequency sound to help communicate with the sensor that’s within the door mechanism. A thump-up with the pet door technology is that you can adjust the settings’ sensitivity to pick signals from far or near.
While radio frequency chip keys are similar to RFIDs, however, they don’t have dog information that is embedded or stored in the device. A downside with this system is that it will allow any doggies to gain entry into the house as long as they have a collar emitting at the specific radio frequency range.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do app control dog doors work?
An app controlled dog door is an excellent choice for people who want to give their dog the freedom of a traditional door. The system recognizes the microchip in your dog’s collar and opens the door when the dog is ready to come in. The app also tracks your dog’s activity and lets you know what time it needs to be let out and when it needs to be let in. This way, you can keep track of your pet’s activities and ensure that it follows the correct routine.
There is a sensor in the panel that reads the microchip in your dog’s collar. When your dog approaches the door, the panel will open and let your dog go out. The sensor also connects with the app on the phone. You can click on open or close to give a signal to the panel. On top of that, you can also set the timer as well as track the movement of the door.
- Are app controlled dog doors safe from burglars?
A pet door can be a good deterrent to burglars because it allows your pets to come and go freely. While a fence may keep intruders out, a dog door gives them easy access. However, an app-controlled dog door is different.
This type of door works on the commands given through the app. As the app is always in your control, it is absolutely safe to use. On top of that, you can use the app to track the door. This tracking feature helps you to know when the door opens and closes. It will help you to keep the intruders away.
- Do snakes come through app controlled dog doors?
The best way to keep snakes out of your home is to have your pet have a secure pet door. Snakes can use these doors as an entryway to your house. However, if you have an app-controlled smart door, snakes will not be able to enter the house.
The smart dog door works with a microchip collar to track your dog’s activity and alert you if your dog tries to enter. A small battery-operated dog door can be set to allow your pet to come and go at certain times of the day.
As you can control the door from the app, it will help you to prevent snakes from entering inside the house. The door will be locked all the time unless you give a command from your phone. It helps you to keep the snakes away.
The app-controlled dog door is more advanced than other electronic pet doors. It can be used on all types and sizes of dogs. You can control the door from your smartphone app and monitor your pet’s movement. If you want to buy this type of dog door, follow our guide.
In this article, we have reviewed the 4 best app controlled dog doors and RFID dog doors. Our team has taken important factors into consideration like size, panel movement, safety feature, ease of use, installation, timer feature, durability, and design to select the best doors in 2022.
We plan to update this page regularly as better products are launched. If you think we missed something or want to suggest anything, do let us know by commenting below.
Some of My Favorite Products For Dog Owners
I hope this article has helped you just a bit in the everyday life as a dog owner. Being a dog owner for more than 25 years myself, I’ve tried an abundance of different products with varying success, but these products below are some that I can highly recommend to every dog and their owner without hesitation!
These links are affiliate links, so if you do end up using the links, I will earn a commission. But it’s products that I use on a daily basis myself, and have nothing but praise for.
Dog Food: Every dog needs to eat properly, and finding the best food for your dog can be hard, as the market is absolutely flooded with products. But since 2015 when the company was founded, I’ve been using Ollie Petfood. With their product being tailor-made to suit every dogs’ specific needs, and as my dogs absolutely love the product, I’m pretty sure I’ve found a product I will continue to use for many years more. If you use my link you can get 50% off your first order.
Dog Training: If you’ve ever owned a puppy, you know that they require a lot of training to grow into a well-behaved adult. Brain Training for Dogs has helped me immensely with the mental training part of raising a dog, and it’s something I strongly recommend you consider.
Grooming: If you have a dog in your home, you’re going to need a brush, and for this, I recommend a Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush. For that price, you simply can’t beat this brush for everyday grooming.
If you’re looking for the most up-to-date recommendations, check out my recommended products section that I’ve created to help every dog owner!