I’ve owned Labradoodles for the last 20 years so I might be a little biased, but there are a lot of reasons why Labradoodles are good family dogs!
Why Labradoodles are Good Family Dogs!
- They are among the most sociably and loving dogs around. With a Labradoodle in your family, you will never lack a trusty companion that’ll stick by your side through thick and thin.
- Labradoodles are usually quite good with kids When properly socialized as puppies, they can adapt to basically any situation you might put them in. They’re quite gentle and steady dogs.
- They aren’t particularly easy to tire, and they’re fantastic as outdoor adventure companions on hiking trips and other outdoor activities. They’re most happy when they get a lot of exercise, no matter if it’s hiking up a long trail or playing with your kids in your backyard.
- They love to please their owners and are usually very easy to train. Labradoodles are quick learners that respond well to clear instructions. They do best when they have a bit of structure in their lives and might get into just a little trouble if left to make their own decisions.
- Labradoodles are at their absolute happiest when they’re beside you. Most Doodles have lap-dog syndrome and are quite unaware of how large they actually are when it’s time to go to bed. If you let them, they will happily join you in the bed and will also attempt to sit as close to you as possible on the couch, if not directly on top of you.
- Labradoodles are wonderfully silly creatures. If you’ve ever seen a Labradoodle at the dog park, you will certainly agree. When they’re running around and having a blast, they will get into this funny low-butt-to-the-ground posture as they fly around like maniacs. Their ears are flopping about and they look completely ridiculous. They also are utterly lazy when sitting down. While their top half looks cute and proper their bottom half looks like a mess with legs all over the place in an ultra-sloppy fashion.
- They work hard, and they play hard, and it can sometimes be difficult to differentiate between the two. These love fetching stuff and will continue to do so until past the point of exhaustion with just as much enthusiasm after several hours as when they started.
- Even though they are a quite strong and large breed they are very family-friendly. They are able to change gears and quickly adapt to new situations. They are always ready for some rough-housing, and two minutes later, they will patiently let toddlers poke their noses, tug on their ears, and yank their tails.
- You will never have to clean the floor in your kitchen again, as these dogs are basically biological vacuums when it comes to dropped food. Beware, though, they can get used to handouts while at the dinner table, and they can be extremely difficult to resist and are quite persistent beggars.
- Labradoodles are able to find fun everywhere they go. It might just be zooming around in your backyard with a Goodie Bone, they’re extremely easy to keep entertained and happy. Give them the proper amount of exercise they need, and consistent guidelines, make sure their bellies are full and give them a boatload of attention, and you’re sure to have a healthy, happy, and well-adjusted family dog.
Just watch this cute video!
It’s Not All Fun and Games!
Labradoodles are indeed great pets, but there are also a handful of things you should keep in mind.
- They are big strong dogs and can be very rambunctious if not exercised enough. They need energetic play and about an hour of walking or running each day. Each dog is different, and some will require more exercise than others. When getting a dog, it’s important to recognize the time commitment that dog ownership demands.
- Doodles are total hogs. They simply love food. They are at risk of putting on weight and are cunning opportunists if given the chance to steal things off the counter or out of the garbage can. They risk getting themselves in serious medical trouble due to their love of food and will eat way past the capacity of their stomach if left alone with a food bag for example.
- Labradoodles are particularly mouthy. This means they are eager chewers and have to be taught early what is okay to chew and what isn’t. With precise guidelines, they won’t destroy your stuff, but they can be a bit on the tricky side, so make sure to keep things out of their reach just as a precaution. It is crucial that you supervise them since they’re big on exploratory chewing and could end up swallowing dangerous items.
- Labradoodles are equipped with big strong tails and can easily knock over anything that’s in wagging range off their tails. That’s the reason why Doodle owners usually store things in all kinds of funny places.
- They are becoming a more and more popular breed due to all their wonderful characteristics, especially for families. Sadly, the downside of being a very popular breed is that there are greedy and irresponsible breeders who don’t always breed for the best traits and temperaments, so there are some challenging Doodles around who might be more prone to bad behavior and health problems. If you buy from a breeder, you have to make sure they’re a quality breeder, and if it’s an option for you, consider contacting your Doodle rescue organization as there are literally thousands of dogs nationwide who just need a good and loving home and will turn in to fantastic members of your family if given the chance.
- RELATED ARTICLE: 9 THING YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE GETTING A LABRADOODLE
Some of My Favorite Products For Dog Owners
I hope this article has helped you just a bit in the everyday life as a dog owner. Being a dog owner for more than 25 years myself, I’ve tried an abundance of different products with varying success, but these products below are some that I can highly recommend to every dog and their owner without hesitation!
These links are affiliate links, so if you do end up using the links, I will earn a commission. But it’s products that I use on a daily basis myself, and have nothing but praise for.
Dog Food: Every dog needs to eat properly, and finding the best food for your dog can be hard, as the market is absolutely flooded with products. But since 2015 when the company was founded, I’ve been using Ollie Petfood. With their product being tailor-made to suit every dogs’ specific needs, and as my dogs absolutely love the product, I’m pretty sure I’ve found a product I will continue to use for many years more. If you use my link you can get 50% off your first order.
Dog Training: If you’ve ever owned a puppy, you know that they require a lot of training to grow into a well-behaved adult. Brain Training for Dogs has helped me immensely with the mental training part of raising a dog, and it’s something I strongly recommend you consider.
Grooming: If you have a dog in your home, you’re going to need a brush, and for this, I recommend a Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush. For that price, you simply can’t beat this brush for everyday grooming.
If you’re looking for the most up-to-date recommendations, check out my recommended products section that I’ve created to help every dog owner!