Do you regularly encounter a situation where you have to search for your dog in the neighborhood?
Is your dog always leaving the yard and wandering around?
Are your neighbors often complaining about your dog destroying their yard?
If yes, you should consider using a pet containment system with the best wire for underground dog fence you can get.
The most common way to contain your pet dog is by installing a fence around your house. However, a traditional fence can ruin the aesthetics of your house.
On top of that, it is costly and needs more time and effort for installation. Instead of installing a traditional wooden fence, you can opt for invisible fences.
As the name goes, this type of fence is invisible and doesn’t spoil the look of your house. It is specially designed for pets like cats and dogs.
If you don’t want your dog to cross the boundary and destroy your neighbor’s yard, this fence system will help them to keep them in your area. It is convenient, reliable, and reasonable, and offers complete protection.
What Is An Underground Electric Fence?
If you have a backyard that is not completely fenced in, installing an invisible electric fence might be the solution. It is an invisible fence that helps you to keep your pet dog inside the perimeter.
This type of fencing system has three important elements, i.e., underground wire, transmitter, and pet collar. The transmitter is the main device that sends radio signals to the fence and dog’s collar.
You can place the transmitter wherever you want, like around garden beds, fountains, and other decorative areas. Moreover, an invisible electric system does not have to be installed in a central location.
Wired dog fences are entirely invisible, and unlike traditional physical fences, you can install them anywhere. You have to use the underground wire and bury it in the ground.
It is important to have a detailed map of your property so that you can properly gauge where the wires will need to be placed. Once you mark the perimeter around your house, install the wires.
These fences work by allowing you to place a battery-operated collar in the dog’s reach. The collar will detect a signal from the transmitter and send a static correction signal to the dog. It will prevent them from crossing the boundary.
The strength of the signal depends on the size of your dog, and you must make sure that the fence is placed in the right area to keep your dog out.
You need to train your dog to respect the boundaries. There are flags available which you can use to mark the boundary and teach the dog how to avoid moving out of the boundary.
What Is Underground Dog Fence Wire?
If you’re thinking about installing an underground dog fence, you’ll need to know what is involved in doing so. You’ll want to choose a dog electric fence wire that’s strong, long-lasting, and easy to install.
Underground fence wire is one of the most important components of the invisible fence system. You have to mark the boundary outside the house and install the wire underneath.
The wire works as an invisible boundary that your dog cannot cross. The wire sends a signal to the transmitter when the dog is near to prevent the dog from crossing the boundary.
You can keep the wire on top, but it is best to bury it 2 or 3 inches under the ground for a longer lifespan. This way, it will be safe from water, wind, and dust.
Before installing an underground dog fence, you’ll want to choose the right wire gauge for your property. While a higher-gauge wire is ideal for a small backyard, a smaller-gauge wire will last longer.
Additionally, the wire should be coated with polyethylene to protect it from the elements. If the wire wears out prematurely, the signal strength will decrease. Therefore, it’s best to choose a durable wire for your dog’s fence.
Once you’ve made your decision to use an underground dog fence, you should decide on the wire. A smaller gauge wire is more durable and will last longer. It’s best to use polyethylene-coated wire to protect it from the elements.
When burying underground dog fence wire, you’ll want to use a professional-grade wire with a durable coating to withstand water exposure and general wear. This way, you’ll be less likely to have to replace it prematurely.
You’ll want to make sure that the wire is sturdy and resistant to corrosion. Before burying the wire, you’ll need to determine the exact location where you want the fence. It should be buried at a depth of three to 2 to 3 inches. Once the wire is buried, it’s a good idea to place marker flags along its perimeter.
It will help you to easily find and remove the wire. Burying the wire is important to avoid tripping. Make sure you use a strong and sturdy wire to last longer and keep your dog inside the yard.
The Best Wire for Underground Dog Fences
If you are planning to install a new underground dog fence, you need to purchase a transmitter, underground fence wire as well a pet’s collar.
You can buy a complete kit or system to install it. However, if you already have a system installed but want to replace the wire or add an additional boundary, you need only the wire.
There are many different types, sizes, and brands of underground fence wires available in stores and online sites. If you are finding it difficult to make a choice, we can help you.
In this buying guide, we are going to review the four best wire for underground dog fences. You can easily compare their features, pros, and cons to make the right buying decision.
Best Overall: PetSafe Boundary Wire for Electric Dog and Cat Containment Fences
PetSafe Boundary Wire for Electric Dog and Cat Containment Fences is the best wire for underground dog fences in terms of price, durability, resistance, and safety. This wire is made of solid-core copper and is compatible with both in-ground and above-ground kits. It is available in 16-gauge and 20-gauge.
It is available in 500 to 150 feet in length. You can use this wire for small as well as medium size yards. This wire is convenient and safe to use. You can easily install it on your own. The process is very easy.
Unlike other brands, this wire is extremely durable and made to withstand weather conditions. You can use 20 gauge wire as it is thin and easy to install.
However, if you want a strong and sturdy wire, you can use the 16 gauge option. It is perfect for expanding the boundary in your yard. This wire is compatible with the most in-ground installation.
PetSafe is a trusted brand that offers the best underground electric fence. If you already have an invisible fence in your yard, you can buy this wire from PetSafe to expand or replace the wire.
- Durable: The best thing about this product is that it is offered by PetSafe, which is a genuine, safe, and trusted brand. It is extremely durable and will last for a long time. The material is made of copper with a solid core and is compatible with most in-ground electric dog and cat containment fences.
- Size Option: The wire is available in various sizes (500 feet and 150 feet), allowing you to choose the one that best suits your needs. You can also expand an existing dog fence using this wire, or you can bury the entire wire for an invisible fence.
- Wire Gauge: The wire is available in different gauges (20 gauge and 16 gauge), but the 16-gauge wire is the most durable. It is thick and perfect for rocky terrain and above-ground installation. The 20-gauge wire is thin and easy to install for underground use.
- Great Cats and Dogs: This product is perfect for keeping your dog and cat inside the yard. It is compatible with most of the underground fence systems and works in an efficient way to send signals and prevent your pet from crossing the yard.
- Customer Care: PetSafe is one of the well-known brands in underground fence systems. You will get customer care support with this product. If you have any doubts or want to ask questions, simply contact the team.
- Extremely durable underground fence wire
- Available in 500 feet and 150 feet length
- Made from solid core copper wire
- Available in 20-gauge and 16-gauge size
- Easy to install
- Perfect for in-ground and above-ground use
- Covers 1/3 acre of area
- US-based customer care
- Quality brand product
- Safe for cats and dogs
- Affordable price
- Not available in multiple gauge size, i.e., 14 and 18 gauge
- Needs separate wire connectors and gel-filled capsules
- Not fit for a larger yard
PetSafe Boundary Wire for Electric Dog and Cat Containment Fences is overall the best wire for invisible fences. If you want to replace the old wires or expand the boundary, you can use this product as it is compatible with the in-ground installation. It is durable and available in 20 and 16 gauge sizes. The price is affordable as well. You can easily cover 1/3 acre of land with this wire.
Premium Pick: Maximum Performance Dog Fence Wire from eXtreme Dog Fence Max
If you are looking for an extremely durable and strong dog fence fire, eXtreme Dog Fence Max is the best product for you. This high-end wire offers maximum performance and longevity. The wire is 14-gauge with 60ml polyethylene coating, which is an important characteristic of a dog fence.
This product is also more expensive than other popular options, but it’s still worth checking out as it will last for a long time. It is a premium wire for an underground electric fence.
This dog fence wire comes with a heavy-duty, plastic-coated jacket. It is perfect for any underground dog fencing system. It is also a continuous spool, so you don’t have to worry about burying the wire. The eXtreme Maximum Performance Dog Fence Wire is 14 AWG solid copper core, which makes it the ideal choice for any type of underground dog fence system.
It is flexible, easy to install a dog fence. Its metal-infused runner is comfortable for your dog, and it’s resistant to wet and cold surfaces. You can use it to cover 4 acres of land.
- Ultra-Thick Wire: The eXtreme Dog Fence Max wire comes with an ultra-thick, 60-ML polyethylene jacket. Its durability is impressive, and it won’t be damaged. This 14-gauge wire is easy to install and maintain.
- Universal Compatibility: It is compatible with any underground fence system and is ideal for dogs up to five pounds. You can use it with any type of fence system and brand.
- Other Applications: The Extreme Dog Fence Max Wire can handle low-voltage outdoor applications. It can be used with robotic lawnmowers, landscape lighting, and alarms. It can withstand a variety of temperature changes, so your dog will have the proper safety.
- Size Options: The fence wire is available in different lengths from 500 feet to 2500 feet. You can use it to cover up to 4 acres of land. You can easily attach it to an existing wire fence.
- Ultra-durable 60 mil. coat
- Industrial dog fence wire for extreme durability
- Maximum performance dog fence wire
- Comes with Polyethylene protective jacket
- Designed for max life reliability
- Perfect for low signal loss
- Compatible with all fence systems
- Available in 4 different sizes, i.e., 500, 1000, 1500, and 2000 feet
- Can be used for other things as well
- Made in the USA
- Only available in 14 gauge size
- Expensive than other wires
Maximum Performance Dog Fence Wire from eXtreme Dog Fence Max is a premium quality wire. If you are looking for a strong and sturdy wire for long-lasting use, this product is perfect. It is compatible with all types and brands of wired dog fences. Apart from dog fences, you can use them for robotic lawn mowers as well.
Budget Pick: Windogz Boundary Wire for Electric Fence System
Windogz Boundary Wire is an affordable boundary wire for an electric fence system. The polyethylene jacket prevents oxidation and static resistance. It contains about 500 feet of burial-grade wire. You will also get 1000 feet size option with this product.
These wires are compatible with many popular brands like High Tech Pet, Innotek, Dogtra, Perimeter Technologies, Pet Stop, and DogWatch.
The Windogz Boundary Wire is available in a 20 gauge size. There is 0.25 polyethylene coating on the wire. The solid core wire is durable and burial-grade. It will cover nearly ¼ acre of area.
The self-install wire is cheaper and offers oxidation resistance and waterproof protection. This wire is easy to install. Simply plot the invisible boundary wire on the ground.
- Durable Material: It is a cheap and durable electrical fence wire made from strong and durable copper material. There is polyethylene coating on this wire to make it last for a long time. It is an excellent quality fence wire. This wire is oxidation-resistant and waterproof.
- Size: This wire is available in 20 gauge size and can cover up to ¼ acre area. It comes in 500 feet and 1000 feet size. You can easily bury it underneath the ground and create an invisible fence.
- Compatible: It is compatible with multiple brands of the invisible fence. You can use it with High Tech Pet, Innotek, Dogtra, Perimeter Technologies, Pet Stop, and DogWatch fences.
- Easy Installation: This wire is easy to install. You need to bury it 3 inches inside the ground. Anybody can easily install it to replace old wire or expand the boundary.
- Compatible with top brands of wired dog fences
- Easy to install
- Reputable underground fence wire brand
- Durable and long-lasting
- 20 gauge wire and 0.25 polyethylene-coated
- Available in two different sizes, 500 and 1000 feet
- Offer great resistance
- Affordable product
- Enhances freedom for your pet
- Only available in 20 gauge size
- Packaging is not good
If you are looking for an affordable underground dog fence wire, Windogz Boundary Wire is the best option. Compared to other products, it is cheap and compatible with the majority of the underground fence system. It is easy to install and durable. You can use it to cover ¼ acre of land.
Wire + Flag Kit: SportDOG Brand Wire & Flag Kit for In-Ground Fence Systems
SportDOG Brand Wire & Flag Kit is the best product for in-ground fence systems. It includes 500 feet of wire, two-wire nuts, two waterproof gel-filled splice capsules, and 50 training flags.
These items can be mounted to the ground or buried underground. This kit is a great option for a home or business with a medium-size yard or a large dog.
Suppose you need more coverage than, consider getting the SportDOG Brand Wire & Flag Kit for In-Ground Fence Systems. It can cover 1/3 acre of area.
It is a convenient way to add extra security to your yard. This kit is designed for dogs of 10 pounds or more. The system also provides safe static correction. The SportDOG Brand wire enables you to extend the in-ground fence system up to around half acres.
- Complete Kit: The SportDOG Brand Wire & Flag Kit for In-Ground Fence Systems offers greater coverage than the standard kit. The kit comes with 500 feet of wire and 50 boundary flags, two-wire nuts, and two waterproof gel-filled splice capsules.
- Compatibility: This product is compatible with multiple receiver collars. You can use it with the SportDOG Brand In-Ground Fence System (SDF-100A).
- Land Coverage: If you want to expand the coverage or replace the wire, this product is perfect. It will help you to cover 1/3 acre of land.
- Comes with 500 feet 20 gauge wire
- Kit includes 50 boundary flags
- Includes two waterproof gel-filled splice capsules and two-wire nuts
- Perfect for wire replacing of expanding boundary
- Works with SportDOG Brand In-Ground Fence system
- Helps you to add an additional 1/3 of land
- Easy to setup
- Perfect for dogs over 10 pounds
- Comes with 500 feet wire
- Only available in 20 gauge size
If you want a complete kit for an underground electric fence, SportDOG Brand Wire & Flag Kit is the best product. Here, you will not only get dog electric fence wire but also boundary flags, wire nuts, and waterproof gel-filled splice capsules. It helps you to cover 1/3 acres of land and is perfect for expansion and replacement.
How to Choose the Best Wire for Underground Dog Fence?
Underground dog fences have become very popular among pet owners. It is one of the best ways to prevent dogs from wandering around and give them the freedom to run and play within the yard. However, to ensure that the fence system works properly, you need to choose the best wire for underground dog fence. Here are some factors you need to consider to make the right choice.
- Wire Gauge:
When choosing the wire for your underground dog fence, consider its gauge. Thinner wires have more resistance to breakage, and a thicker gauge is more efficient for keeping pets within boundaries. Dog fence wire is available in 20-gauge, 18-gauge, 16-gauge, and 14-gauge. 20-gauge is the thinnest whereas, 14-gauge is the thickest. Make sure you have the perfect wire gauge.
The wire for an underground dog fence must be durable. The higher the gauge, the better. A lower gauge will give more durability to the fence. If the wire is buried underground, it should have a coating of polyethylene, which will protect it from water. The signal strength will decrease over time as the wire gets buried. Purchasing a more durable wire will ensure your fence system lasts longer.
- Wire Resistance:
You need to consider wire resistance as well. The wire should be strong and resistant to temperature changes. It should also be resistant to stress and cracking. It is better to choose a wire with improved wear resistance.
- Signal Transmission:
Choose a wire with perfect signal strength. The wire should be able to easily transmit the signal so that your dog can get a proper correction message. Make sure the signal strength is not low, or else your dog can easily cross the boundary. There should be no hindrance in signal transmission.
Another thing you need to consider is the workability or flexibility of the wire. It should be flexible and easy enough to work with. This way, you can easily twist the wire and customize the configuration. Thinner wires are more flexible and easy to install.
- Wire Type:
You need to consider the type of wire as well. There are two most common types of wires available, i.e., manufacturer grade and professional grade. The professional-grade wire is designed to withstand harsh environmental conditions, water exposure, and general wear. It can help you avoid premature digging up of your underground dog fence. The manufacturer-grade wire is mostly available with dog fence kits. These are lightweight medium-quality wires.
Make sure you consider the cost of the wires as well. It will help you to compare different types of wires and choose the best one. Check the size, length as well as features along with cost.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What gauge wire is best for dog fences?
You can use 20, 18, 16, or 14 gauge wire for dog fences. 20 gauge is thinnest, and 14 gauge is thickest. If your yard is small, go with 20 or 18 gauge. However, if it is large, 16 or 14 gauge is best for you. The heavy-duty wire is ideal for above-ground installations, as it is more durable and stands up to harsh weather. If you are planning to install the dog fence above-ground, you may want to consider heavy-duty wire as it offers added durability.
2. How deep do you bury wire for dog fence?
You need to dig a trench of 3 to 24 inches to bury wire for the dog fence. Avoid burying the wire deeper than the maximum depth because you could alter the signal strength and run into buried utilities. It is best to bury the wire 3 inches underneath the ground for maximum signal strength as well as protection against weather and outdoor hazards.
3. What kind of wire is used for an underground dog fence?
When it comes to an underground dog fence, the wire you use is very important. It must be solid and heavy-duty so that it can withstand the elements and the wear and tear that it undergoes from water exposure. It is a solid insulated polyethylene wire. This is the best wire for outdoor use and can handle the constant pressure that the dog’s movements place on it. It is best to buy one made of heavy-duty 14-gauge wire. This wire will withstand time, and you can install it yourself without the help of a professional.
4. Do underground dog fences really work?
Yes, these fences really work if installed correctly. Unlike regular fences, which can be inconvenient and expensive, underground dog fences are easy to install and maintain. They work by sending a correction message to a dog when it approaches a no-go area. Because these devices can be easily hidden in the ground, they are an ideal way to contain a puppy.
5. What type of wire does PetSafe use?
There are two types of wire that PetSafe recommends for its fence systems. The first type is called standard, which is used in most installations. This wire is made from 20 gauge copper PE, and the second is called heavy-duty16 gauge wire. The wire should be thick enough to withstand rough use. Both wires are compatible with in-ground pet fence kits.
Underground dog fence wire is the core component of the invisible fence system. It helps you to keep the dog inside the yard without installing a traditional fence. All you need to do is buy fence wire and bury it underneath the ground. However, you need to choose the best wire for long-lasting use and perfect signal transmission.
In this guide, we have taken core factors into consideration like wire gauge, durability, wire resistance, signal transmission, type of wire, and budget to select the best wire for underground dog fence. You can check our in-depth review to choose the best dog electric fence wire.
We plan to update this page regularly as better wires arrive in the market. If you think we missed something or want to suggest anything, do let us know by commenting below.
Some of My Favorite Products For Dog Owners
I hope this article has helped you just a bit in everyday life as a dog owner. Being a dog owner for more than 25 years myself, I’ve tried an abundance of different products with varying success, but these products below are some that I can highly recommend to every dog and their owner without hesitation!
These links are affiliate links, so if you do end up using the links, I will earn a commission. But it’s products that I use daily myself, and I have nothing but praise for.
Dog Food: Every dog needs to eat correctly, and finding the best food for your dog can be hard, as the market is absolutely flooded with products. But since 2015 when the company was founded, I’ve been using Ollie Petfood. With their product being tailor-made to suit every dog’s specific needs, and as my dogs absolutely love the product, I’m pretty sure I’ve found a product I will continue to use for many years more. If you use my link you can get 50% off your first order.
Dog Training: If you’ve ever owned a puppy, you know that they require a lot of training to grow into a well-behaved adult. Brain Training for Dogs has helped me immensely with the mental training part of raising a dog, and it’s something I strongly recommend you consider.
Grooming: If you have a dog in your home, you’re going to need a brush, and for this, I recommend a Hertzko Self-Cleaning Slicker Brush. For that price, you simply can’t beat this brush for everyday grooming.
If you’re looking for the most up-to-date recommendations, check out my recommended products section that I’ve created to help every dog owner!